• For those of you who were having issues connecting to the Forums, it turns out that our modem was not functioning properly. We have replaced it now and the connection to the Forums has been restored. Thank you for your patience.

Cuckoo Clock

Paul Haskey

Jan 7, 2021
Country
I recently set up a cuckoo clock, having cleaned the movement. I have had to remove the hands several times to sync the chimes and cuckoo to the time and they are still an hour out. Is there an easier way to do this without removing the hands? as I don't want to make the hour hand too loose from constantly replacing it. I have been tripping the clock to chime the hour and pulling off the hands; replacing the hour hand on the correct hour to the chime, but after initially chiming correctly, it has now gone out of sequence again

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Is this a count wheel or a rack strike? Pictures may help us of the front and back of the movement.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It's probably a count wheel. You can pick up the count hook and trigger the next strike, but you would have to get into the back for that. An easier way is to move the minute hand towards the 12 until you hear it go into warning. Then turn the hand back to the 9 and it will strike. Keep doing that until it strikes one short of where the hour hand is. Then when you move it to the 12 it will be right.
However, if it's missing a strike or over striking now and then, you might have another issue to look for.

Paul Haskey

Jan 7, 2021
Country
It's probably a count wheel. You can pick up the count hook and trigger the next strike, but you would have to get into the back for that. An easier way is to move the minute hand towards the 12 until you hear it go into warning. Then turn the hand back to the 9 and it will strike. Keep doing that until it strikes one short of where the hour hand is. Then when you move it to the 12 it will be right.
However, if it's missing a strike or over striking now and then, you might have another issue to look for.
Thank you. I hadn’t got any photos of the front of the movement and the others aren’t very good either. Is it ok to move the hands on a clock backwards?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If it has a snail, then it should never be off on the strike. Don't move the hands backward past either the 12 or the 6. A little more info on how it's missing strikes would help. Go through the whole series from 1 to 12 and jot down how many strikes for each number.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
The front of your clock will look similar to this: #1 Make sure that this washer and retainer clip are in place, #2 Is the rack tail and should fall onto the middle of a flat area of the snail #3. Note that there are 12 (steps) to the snail. As you turn the minute hand, the snail should turn and at the top of the hour the rack tail will drop onto the middle of a flat section of the snail. This determines how many strikes occur. Let us know what you see.

InkedIMG_20210121_130906_LI.jpg

Paul Haskey

Jan 7, 2021
Country
The front of your clock will look similar to this: #1 Make sure that this washer and retainer clip are in place, #2 Is the rack tail and should fall onto the middle of a flat area of the snail #3. Note that there are 12 (steps) to the snail. As you turn the minute hand, the snail should turn and at the top of the hour the rack tail will drop onto the middle of a flat section of the snail. This determines how many strikes occur. Let us know what you see.

View attachment 633641
Thank you for your time and trouble. Unfortunately, I had to apply a little glue to the dial as it didn’t seat very well and had become warped and therefore loose. Basically, I would need to remove the movement from the back which, at the moment, isn’t an option. I will have to see if the clock goes further out of sync, and try and ascertain if it’s at any particular point. Other than that, it’s working well
Paul

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Paul,

On that movement you would simply twist the hour hand to point at the hour just struck. There is usually a little tip on the butt end of the hand. This tip is there so you can apply extra pressure (inward with your thumbnail) to set the hour hand on its slightly tapered shaft.

The minute hand is completely adjustable too. Is it at the 12 when it strikes?

Willie X

Paul Haskey

Jan 7, 2021
Country
Thanks Willie
I decided to go with what you said and move the hour hand. This is the way I used to do it but became worried about putting cogwheels under stress by moving hands around. I started to take the hour hand OFF completely and then replace on the correct hour when I needed to sync clock chimes, because I assumed that the positioning of it was finite. In simple terms, does just the hand move, or the shaft it’s on when you move it between numbers?
BTW here is a pic of the clock. It’s one of the nicest I’ve seen and I practically stole it for £60 about ten years ago
Paul image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willowind
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre