Cuckoo clock stopping

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region
Hi folks, I have a Cuckoo clock that randomly stops five minutes till the hour maybe once every two days or so. The minute hand actually gets stuck at five till the hour and it has to be forced to turn it clockwise. It will move freely counter-clockwise. This is a regula 25 movement with music and dancers. As you can see the governor is attached to the movement on the left side from the rear. I like this design from a point of putting in new bushings. I rebuilt this movement and governor but it stops on me occasionally. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the warning but I'm unsure. It you have any ideas what I should look for, I welcome all suggestions.

20220224_233306.jpg

Last edited:

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
I see the left bellow is raised. Make sure that there is nothing being raised when it goes into warning.

Vernon

Reactions: TimeafterTime

kologha

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern Cape SA
Country
Sorry to be pedantic but I notice many people use the singular when referring to one of the flutes in a cuckoo clock,

From Wiki:
As nouns the difference between bellow and bellows is that bellow is the deep roar of a large animal, or any similar loud noise while bellows is a device for delivering pressurized air in a controlled quantity.

Probably comes from the fact that the original bellows had two handles with an air chamber in between. kologha

Reactions: bwclock

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
The pen is mightier than the sword, touché. I have a friend who tunes pianos. He reacts in a similar way when the sound from a strike/chime clock is off. I'll probably still use bellow since it sounds singular.

Vernon

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
More like a whistle than a "flute". :)

There may be an assembly error (?)
that's somehow blocking the warning process. If you can catch it 'in the act'
should be easy to figure out.

Willie X

Last edited:

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region
I see the left bellow is raised. Make sure that there is nothing being raised when it goes into warning.

Vernon
Hi Vernon,

This clock will run for several hours before it stops at five til the hour. The minute hand will not turn clockwise without some force. This time it ran a day and a half before stopping again with the left bellow open. Any ideas?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
How high are the bellows being lifted?

The new lifting levers have to be adjusted to the bellows. When they are adjusted properly, the wires will lift each bellow about 1/2" and drop it cleanly.

Your strike train is probably stalling because it's being asked to do to much work.

The strike hammer and bird perch push-out also fall into this 'work needed' category. The strike hammer should lift about 3/8" and the bird door should push out past the halfway point but not be jamed (tight) in the out position. The door should still wiggle freely even when out to its max distance.

Next time it stops, don't force the hand. This is a golden opportunity for you to figure out exactly where the sticking point is. :)

Willie X

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiceconi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-