Cuckoo Clock Setup & Testing

howardindevon

Jan 14, 2021
Dawlish, Devon, UK
Country
Region
Guys,

Having stripped, cleaned and reassembled my first movement (yee haa), I am now struggling with the setup and testing of said movement. I am aware that at least one component, the Gathering Pallet, is not set correctly as it can be rotated 360 degrees.
I have a feeling the Star wheel and the centre Arbour also need to be in sync with the snail.

Does it make sense to partly disassemble the movement, leaving out part of the time side? That way, I can more easliy turn the movement by hand and hence check and correct the "Gong, Coo, Koo" levers? Are there just a couple of wheels, whos removal would achieve this end?

I think that further experience of taking apart and putting back components would not be a bad thing - it is all good practice and familiarity. Not as if we can go anywhere under present (Covid) circumstances!!

Comments please. Regards, Howard in Sunny Devon, England

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hi Howard,

Firstly, the motion work (cannon pinion, hour wheel and minute wheel need to be set so the rack falls onto the snail at about 9:00.

A picture would be good as we can tell you how to adjust various things. Both front and back, please.

BTW, it's "arbor" in UK as arbours are in woodlands ;)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The star wheel is usually just a friction fit wheel that can be moved a little to get the lift and drop at the right times. It takes a little effort to move it, but it should move. Most of the things you need to do can be done after assembly and during testing.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I don't think you need to move the star, the minute and hour hands can be adjusted when you have it together.

howardindevon

Jan 14, 2021
Dawlish, Devon, UK
Country
Region
Jimmy,
G'day. I have not yet moved the Star. I removed the Escape Wheel pallet, so that I could drive the movement by hand and have set the Gathering Pallet, so that I get "Gong Coo Coo" sequences OK.

Now looking to see how I set the time side to be correct, for the half and hour actions. Regards, Howard

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Are you now sorted, Howard? The gathering pallet notch causing the end of the striking should have the warning lever detent about half a turn from the pin on the warning wheel (the one next to the fly) and the "coo" lever just falling; that will give enough run for the train to gather speed before the "bong".

howardindevon

Jan 14, 2021
Dawlish, Devon, UK
Country
Region
Are you now sorted, Howard? The gathering pallet notch causing the end of the striking should have the warning lever detent about half a turn from the pin on the warning wheel (the one next to the fly) and the "coo" lever just falling; that will give enough run for the train to gather speed before the "bong".
Mike,

Thank you, yes. Just going to reinstall Snail, Hands, etc to see that the Time side will drive the Strikes. Afterwards, I shall aim to get the "right" number for a given time. Watch this space.

Best regards, Howard

howardindevon

Jan 14, 2021
Dawlish, Devon, UK
Country
Region
Got everything back together in the case, with weights and pendulum. Hung level, as far as I can see, and set the pendulum swinging.

Seems to be not completely left to right but wobbles a little and certainly stops after a short time. Tried adjusting the Crutch and Pendulum Leader ( bending a bit) but same issue. The whole movement was fully cleaned but I have not yet oiled. Perhaps there is a bit too much friction at present.

Will oiling do it, or am I missing something here please?? Regards, Howard

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Got everything back together in the case, with weights and pendulum. Hung level, as far as I can see, and set the pendulum swinging.

Seems to be not completely left to right but wobbles a little and certainly stops after a short time. Tried adjusting the Crutch and Pendulum Leader ( bending a bit) but same issue. The whole movement was fully cleaned but I have not yet oiled. Perhaps there is a bit too much friction at present.

Will oiling do it, or am I missing something here please?? Regards, Howard
Hi Howard,
It could be stopping due to no oil on the pallets or pivots. Might be a good idea to see what happens when you oil it.
If the pendulum is wobbling there's something wrong, such as the suspension spring either having a kink in it or not being able to swing freely on its post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatskillPainter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff