• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Cuckoo Clock Repair Guides

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
My son's girlfriend has asked me whether I knew of any cuckoo clock repair guides. I do not myself, but I wonder whether there are any such that might be recommended. I suspect something very basic and simple would be in order. I suspect this may be for her younger brother, but I can't be sure.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
* "The cuckoo clock owners repairer manual" by D. Rod Lloyd
* "Cuckoo clock repair made simple" by Tom Seaman

I don't own either but have heard some folks like them. Vernon

Reactions: Steven Thornberry

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
No good ones that I know of.

Merritt's has a couple I haven't read. One is by Bill Tipton ($42), the other is by Tom Seaman ($26). Both center on the common Regula-25 movement.

Maybe someone can recommend one, or the other. I don't think both would be necessary?

Willie X

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I noticed that Conover's book #9 German Clocks includes Cuckoo clocks. I've not seen, nor used the book but perhaps others have.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
D. Rod Lloyd's book is a mixed bag - useful if you're doing a Regula movement, but not very helpful for other cuckoo movements. The second half of the book is on general clock repair and there is a lot of useful information in there if you can get past the writing, which is atrocious. I keep reaching for my red editor's pen every time I look at it.

Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2016
Sumerduck, VA
Country
Region
"The Cuckoo Clock Repair Manual" by Robert Bilger. Very good book. Covers Regulas and Hubert Herr's. It got me through my first cuckoo.

Pat

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
They are fairly easy to figure out if you are able to repair a regular two train striker. Just about any book on clock repair or a video course would provide enough information to do the job.

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Philip E. Balcomb has two clock repair books that are very useful. The one called Clock Repair First Reader has a good section on cuckoo clocks.

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
They can be a lot of fun to study and play with, watching how the various lift wires and levers work together to do their magic. The post WWII Regula movements are easy to work on and because they are weight driven you don't have to worry about stored energy in springs. Learning the basics on how to hand bush would be very useful.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
Philip E. Balcomb has two clock repair books that are very useful. The one called Clock Repair First Reader has a good section on cuckoo clocks.
Balcomb does have a good section on Cuckoo Clocks, but finding a copy at a reasonable price might be tricky.
This source seems to have some good options: https://www.allbookstores.com/book/compare/0962045616
I've never purchased through this website before.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I have d rod lloyds. Terrible unless you have no experience at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joost
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-