Cuckoo Clock Regulation

stushug

Apr 19, 2009
I have four Cuckoo clocks. They all have Regula 25 movements that I have just cleaned, oiled and repaired where necessary. I cannot get these clocks to keep time. They behaved this way before I worked on them, and I've had them for over 20 years. They run fine and strike perfectly. Are these movements just not that good at keeping time, or am I doing something wrong. The slightest movement (1 or 2 mm) on the regulating weight can cause a loss or gain of several minutes in a 24 hour period. Any help would be appreciated.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
1mm is a large adjustment. Try to do 1/10th that, after you get it pretty close.

Cuckoos (in general) can do a rate of about + / - one minute per day but don't expect any better than that.

Take the pendulum off the clock to adjust it.

Willie X

Reactions: S_Owsley

stushug

Apr 19, 2009
Thanks Willie. My adjustments have been probably smaller than 1mm. I read some other threads and saw some hints about adjusting the weight. I've already been using the pencil mark method, and sometimes I can hardly see any difference and I still get crazy swings in timekeeping.

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello stushug,

Some of the older cuckoos actually had threaded rating assemblies. Why not make up a pendulum that suits one of your clocks that has a threaded rating assembly. Don't destroy the original pendulum.

Cuckoos are novelty clocks, not great time keepers. Off a couple of minutes a day is "acceptable".

Jim

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Also check that the metal bracket that hold the rod is tight, after moving it a lot it wares the timber and can slip, and as Willey said it only has to move a smidgin to knock it out of time.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Use your thumbnail to apply pressure and two fingers on your other hand to squeeze the opposite side (stick and leaf). This way you can sense the slightest move. It will still take several tries. Most people can sense a move of about 1/10 mm.

And, make sure the leaf is tight on its clip. A loose clip can not be accounted for. Maybe, if you are adjusting in the down direction. :)

I thought this posted about two hours ago ... repeated something Jimmy said.

Oh well,. Willie X

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Cuckoos are novelty clocks, not great time keepers. Off a couple of minutes a day is "acceptable".
Unfortunately, this doesn't provide any insight to stushug, but I think this bit from a 1909 Larkin catalog says a lot about the accuracy of many cuckoos. Of course, like all clocks, the accuracy varies from clock to clock. I was surprised at the truth in advertising exhibited in the verbiage.

scan0011 - Copy.jpg

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I have 14 of my own cuckoos. They’re wall +1-3 min a week. Ona Sunday I stole them all on an hour +3 minutes and I do that every week. I always set cuckoos I repair fast and tell my customers
To stop them at the end of the week for 1-2 minutes and they never have to touch the hands except for daylights savings.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
There should be no problem caused by setting the hands in the usual manner.
Willie X

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I stole them all on an hour +3 minutes and I do that every week.
Had to laugh there Power, I can imagine you running to all 14 in a dash to start them all on the hour, or stopping them all setting them and then running along flicking all the pendulums. :emoji_runner::cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Reactions: roughbarked

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
Cuckoo clocks began my fascination with mechanical clocks in childhood. I'm more than willing to accept "fairly accurate" timekeeping for all the other things they bring to the table.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I am not knocking Cuckoo clocks, I have 2 Beha's myself, the older cuckoos are more accurate as they had threaded adjustment and a fair amount of lead weight in the pendulum, then around 1900 some still had threaded adjustment, however started to lose the weight, then no threaded adjustment just a push or pull on the rod with a weak clip. Anyway cuckoo's of today still sell more than any other mechanical clocks.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The pendulum on cuckoo's is always a challenge. Even tilting the bob a little as you move it will make a big difference in time keeping. You just have to be willing to fiddle with them until they keep decent time and then be careful not to move anything :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIltonD
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-