Cuckoo clock Quail stopping problem

grayman

Aug 3, 2012
I have been working on this clock for awhile and can not seem to get the correct sequence down. The lifting lever behind the minute wheel is lifted by one of the four pins. That lifts the warning lever on the same arbor which blocks the warning pin. The warning lever also lifts the lifting pin which unlocks the locking lever, count hook and bird holder lever. When the lifting lever drops off of the pin behind the minute wheel it starts the switch train. I believe that when the count hook drops into one of the slots on the count wheel it causes the locking lever to fall into a slot which stops the switch train by the stopping pin. There is two stopping pins on number 2 wheel, one on each side. I have taken the movement apart two times trying too align the wheels and levers. But I can not seem to get pins and wheels align up to stop the switch train on the quail side, the count wheel on the right side. Thanks for looking Grayman.

GEDC0091.JPG GEDC0093.JPG

Robert Horneman

Jul 6, 2017
Country
I have been working on this clock for awhile and can not seem to get the correct sequence down. The lifting lever behind the minute wheel is lifted by one of the four pins. That lifts the warning lever on the same arbor which blocks the warning pin. The warning lever also lifts the lifting pin which unlocks the locking lever, count hook and bird holder lever. When the lifting lever drops off of the pin behind the minute wheel it starts the switch train. I believe that when the count hook drops into one of the slots on the count wheel it causes the locking lever to fall into a slot which stops the switch train by the stopping pin. There is two stopping pins on number 2 wheel, one on each side. I have taken the movement apart two times trying too align the wheels and levers. But I can not seem to get pins and wheels align up to stop the switch train on the quail side, the count wheel on the right side. Thanks for looking Grayman.

View attachment 614593 View attachment 614594
dperry428 has an excellent video on you tube about a cuckoo quail repair.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Does that one have a cam that does both the warn and drop off? I've seen those badly worn. Don't know if they could be repaired by the average Joe. You'd need a lathe capable of making one. Yours might be different though.

grayman

Aug 3, 2012
There is a locking lever that drops into the cam slot. It seems to be doing right. I am beginning to think that I need to bent the stopping pin up some because the lockinlever is barely touching the bottom edge of the pin. The lifting pin on the locking lever has been replace at some time.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You might have to experiment with that. If the pin has been replaced, it's hard to say what was there before .... or where.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtvx
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff