• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Function Cuckoo clock only calls once no matter hour

CuckooMark

New User
Nov 27, 2022
Country
Hey Everyone,

First post here and I tried to search but I’m not sure if i’m using the right terms and didn’t find anything like this.

Anyways, I have a 30 hour Regula movement with dancers and music and it calls on the hour and half hour. It has a silencer lever on the side and when I got the clock that wasn’t working. It was dirty and so I cleaned it and got the clock to work well calling correctly at half hour and hour and the only thing that didn’t work right was the silence lever so I bent the part that pushes on the rod with the spring on it that I assume makes the chime engage or not. I see that it pushes down on it when I push the lever down and releases when I put it back up and it does work to let the clock run and not chime and I can see that the snail is still going through the hours even though not calling but here’s my problem.

When I went to set it back on it will only call once no matter the hour and chimes once on half hour like normal. The weird part and I’m hoping this is some kind of clue but when I take it off the wall and remove the weights and play around with it I get it to work fine. I’m not doing anything really it just seems to work and then I very carefully put it back on the wall and it’s back again to only one chime! I’m very careful to not tip or bump it.

I’m at a complete loss. I must be missing some tests or where to look to see what could be causing this cause it looks like it’s doing the same thing on the wall and off but obviously something has to be different with each situation. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

I’ll post some pictures in case it helps at all:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Logic tells me that the rack may be the issue. Perhaps touching on the case?
I'm not quite sure about
can see that the snail is still going through the hours even though not calling
and other parts of what you said. Particularly about bending the silencing lever. The best advice about cuckoo clocks is don't bend anything until you have a complete understanding of how it works and why you think somebody else bent it.

Last edited:

Mike Mall

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2021
Country
The trip lever that the arrow points to is pushed forward (toward the dial) by the silence lever.
That pushes it out of the way of the two cams on the minute arbor, at the top and bottom of the hour.
The top of the hour cam is bigger, and lifts the trip lever farther, to allow the rack to fully fall down on the snail.
Bottom of the hour is smaller, and the rack will just fall to the bottom rack tooth.
Possibly the lever isn't allowed to ride the cam properly now, due to the new position the silence lever is in (due to the bending.)
image.jpg

Reactions: Robert Gift

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm also suspecting the rack. When you take it off the wall, whatever is holding the rack up is releasing it, so it works for a while. When it starts working correctly, does it keep working until you move the silence lever again?

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
The space on the activation lever is too narrow. The canon pinion isn't lifting that lever up high enough. Spread it slightly.

Reactions: roughbarked

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The rack is probably not falling.

I usually go straight to the rack's pivot. Remove the rack and clean the pivot post and the inside of the rack's hub. A bamboo skew, tightly rolled up piece of paper, and drop of mineral spirits can help with the cleaning. Put it back together dry, no oil.

Willie X

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
The rack is probably not falling.

I usually go straight to the rack's pivot. Remove the rack and clean the pivot post and the inside of the rack's hub. A bamboo skew, tightly rolled up piece of paper, and drop of mineral spirits can help with the cleaning. Put it back together dry, no oil.

Willie X
This is possible. I've not seen it happen where it doesn't fall at all. I've seen where its movement is hindered by being dirty, but not no movement at all.
I have seen the little tail that the cannon pinion lifts bent too far up or down either doing what this guys clock is doing or jamming the works on the hour because it's bend downward. It's one of the two.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I would take the shut off lever off and see what happens, that would eliminate or confirm one thing.
As this is a 30 hour (one day) cuckoo clock I don't think the music activation lever is out.
It could be that the rack is sticking or the cam pin is just catching the rack, for these you will need to take the movement out to see.

Reactions: roughbarked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QMAC
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent