Cuckoo clock music movement? - 8 day or 1 day

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by TopFuel123, Oct 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TopFuel123

TopFuel123 Registered User

Sep 27, 2012
    Hi, I have been hiding out from Cuckoos for a while but I'm back. First thing, (of course), I run into a problem. I am converting a Cuckoo from a 1 day movement to an 8 day. This Cuckoo has a 36 note music box movement that has 2, "unusual for a Cuckoo clock" tunes, and a really nice sound. I want to use it but this clock is a 1 day cuckoo. After I put the 8 day time movement in, it dawned on me that in order to use the music movement I would have to use the 325 gram weight for the music and the 2 1500 gram weights for the time.
    What I don't get is how to tell an 8 day music movement from a 1 day. I put another 36 note that came out of an 8 day cuckoo next to this one and I don't see any difference. The gearing looks to be the same diameters and teeth. Another thing I have noticed is that all the sites that sell the cuckoo music movements make no mention to whether it is a 1 or 8 day, so if the music movement is the same for both, what controls the speed of the music. If you were to put a 1500 gram weight on the chain for the music on a 1 day cuckoo the drum and the music would spin and play like a bat out of hell.

I have been trying to find an explanation for this for days and found nothing. I am probably staring the answer right in the face and agrivation is blurring my vision. I'm sure one of the cuckoo guys here is going to make me feel really stupid but don't worry it's a daily happening for me.
    Thanks in advance for any and all help that anyone can give me. Thanks, T.K.

2. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are you putting in a Regula 34? Will the chain wheel for the music box be on the shaft that comes out of the drum? If so, I think a 1500 gram weight is going to bend the shaft. Music boxes in 8D clocks usually have a separate chain wheel above the shaft that drives the music box. I believe the only options you have are to find an 8D setup and install your music box or put in a Regula 72 if you have enough space. IMG_20171001_140713547.jpg

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    8 day clocks wind opposite directions while one days wind the same way.

4. TopFuel123

TopFuel123 Registered User

Sep 27, 2012
    Hi guys, I guess better late than never holds true here. I want to thank both of you for the fast response and apologize for not saying thanks right away. I knew before I even finished reading your reply Chris the answer to my entire question. The key that lit the light bulb over my head was in my question itself, why all the people selling replacement music movements never specify a different one for a 1 day or 8 day. They are all the same, they are just driven differently for a 1 or 8 day. I had seen how the 8 day clocks drove the music but didn't register there was a difference, didn't need to until now. The chain is on a separate ratchet wheel with a gear being driven by the cuckoo movement, and that gear drives a separate small gear on the music movement drum shaft that drives the music at the proper speed, and without any down pressure that would bend the shaft from the weight of an 8 day clock.
    I hope this makes sense enough for someone else running into this problem of not noticing the difference and coming here for an answer. The day I posted this question I had been stalling off a horrible toothache hoping it would stop. That night my face started swelling and by morning I looked like a squirrel with 100 acorns in his mouth, wound up in the hospital with a fever, and lost all my upper teeth.
    I'm back to the cuckoos and will post how I mounted the gears to drive the music. I have the large ratchet/gear but don't have the small gear with lock screw for the drum shaft. Thanks again Chris D. and Shutterbug Regards, T.K.

5. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    8 day has four wheels in the time train; 30-hr has three.

Good luck with your mouth. :^