Cuckoo Clock music box weight falls a lot faster than time and strike weights

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by THTanner, May 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am working on a Chalet Cuckoo clock with a Regula 34 movement. At some point it appears that the music box and its mount have been replaced and the music was not working when the clock came in. It is all repaired now and works fine, but the weight on the music box side falls a lot faster than the other two weights. I think usually these set ups are designed so that the music weight falls about as fast as the time weight? Perhaps that is not always true?

The only thing I can figure is that the replacement music box drive gear has a larger diameter than the original so it takes more chain to turn the drum through each of the two tunes. A smaller drive gear on the music shaft would turn the music drum with less chain drop but would also make it turn faster. The music plays pretty fast as it is and there is almost no room to put in a larger governing fan.

As it is currently the time and cuckoo weights will be an eight day wind but the music will need a wind after about 5 to 6 days. Is this common and just something I have not seen before, or is there some other fix?

thanks

MusicDrive.JPG

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does the music box play on the full and the half hour? If it does, it is probably supposed to play only on the full hour. In this case you need to bend the triggering wire slightly to make sure that the music is triggered only on the full hour. Or, sometimes it is already enough to loosen the screws that hold the music box and move it upwards a bit.

Uhralt

3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you sir - that was easy. I figured the two separate tunes were meant to play each hour. :)

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You're welcome! Many people think that when there are two tunes that the music box should play every 30 minutes.

Uhralt

5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Which is also what it started doing when I first installed the lever and bent it - a bit too far obviously - so I assumed it was okay till the weight dropped so fast.

The owners also complained that the clock always ran too slow and there was no way to adjust it. :-X

CuckooPendulum.JPG

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The owners were obviously right!

Uhralt

SmithyMoarra and THTanner like this.
  7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The same MB in a 1-day cuckoo would be driven directly by the chain wheel and probably would need to run on both the half and hour.

The only rule with cuckoo's is that there are no rules ... just a few thin guidelines.

Ha, Willie X

THTanner likes this.
  8. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So much to learn - so much good instruction here. Now the owner tells me that they think it always played the music on the 1/2 and the hour and can I make it do that? They don't mind 4 day wind on the music and 8 day on the rest. Said they will just wind the whole thing every four days.

You are right - there are not rules. :)

9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, you can. Just reverse what you did to stop it from playing music on the half hour. It doesn't hurt anything, just need to be wound more often.

Uhralt

10. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes - it will be easy - and the change in the bend was very little - the fan stop wire does not have to be changed at all. I just wonder how long before they pay me to come out and change it once again? I showed them how to pick which tune plays at the hour and which plays at the half hour. I probably should not have done that :-X

Another little issue I figured out was that one tune would stop short of finishing. So when the next tune was to play, the last two rows of pins would play from the previous tune, then some silence, then the other tune would start and it would finish normally. This didn't happen for both tunes, but was consistent with one of them. The little plastic tube that stops the fan when the control lever on the MB catches the hole in the end of the drum was not pushed on all the way. So it would stop the drum just short of the gap between the two tunes. I didn't realize it was happening at first, just thought it was weird that one tune had a long silent pause right after it started. It is not easy to see the pins and gaps that are right under the fingers of the harp when the MB is installed in the clock.

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You think the music box was replaced, and you're probably right. It probably had a single tune before, and was replaced with a double tune because the other was not available. With the dual tune, an adjustment was made to allow it to play both on the hour and on the half (normal for two tune cuckoo's with some exceptions). Be sure it only plays one song at each run.

THTanner likes this.
  12. a novice

a novice New Member

May 28, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear Sir, if I may suggest, in reference to the music movement, make sure the aft drum support is fully engaged into the 'bushing plate'. I have found that through wear and lack of lube that the drum aft support shaft will move permitting the drum to wander. Your particular aft drum support bracket would be 'easy' to repair with a bushing. You will note on the front support a small set screw at the top, that set screw secures the thrust bushing which is slightly movable permitting you to tighten up the aft support shaft engagement to support bracket. Experiment a little and you will see as I have mentioned. For what ever reason the music movement manufactures took to making the aft support shaft very short and the aft support whether it be similar to the forward support or a 'cap style' support out of 'pot metal'. It is not a surprise the aft support 'wears' and permits the drum to move. I have just repaired a 'cap'style' movement 'cap' support with a 1/8" brass tubing, hand filing, and some epoxy glue to hold the short piece of tubing in place. I made the tube long enough to go across the space inside the cap to provide stability and usdd epoxy to retian in place. I do hope the aforementioned comments are of some help. Regardds

13. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I appreciate the note and explanations. Hopefully these sorts of discussions help others puzzling over new issues with which they are not familiar.

The whole MB seems to be in fine shape and fairly new. The owner says it was replaced about 15 years ago but never worked after it was installed. The clock has been in a box for 10 of those years. The basic issue with the MB was with the drive gear alignment to the chain drive gear.

The small issue with the plastic tube was something I had not seen before, but is probably quite common when people try to work on these.

In any event, the whole MB is tight and clean and working great.

14. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Road Runner is a member of the Cuckoo family. I have always wanted to somehow modify a Cuckoo Clock to go BEEP beep

15. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    They will work just fine without the rubber tube but the adjustment will be slightly different. The rubber tube is there to quieten things down a bit.
    WIllie X

THTanner likes this.
  16. a novice

a novice New Member

May 28, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Mr. Tanner, In reference to your Road Runner tune in a cuckoo Clock, I would suggest the tune be loaded onto a Simm's chip and that put into a player, The player would be powered by an Alkaline or Ni-Metal Hydroxide or equivalent battery. The currant drain should be very low as the tune only playes for 5 or so seconds. The player would be turned on-off by your existing system for the current music movement. A small bell crank to change motion, a small switch for on-off and a return spring may be needed. The player and 'switch' assembly would fit onto the current music movement mounting plate, the battery or batteries at the bottom of the case. A thought for you to ponder. Regards

THTanner likes this.
  17. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you could reproduce the sound with a reed type of whistle. We used to made them out of dandelion stems, so you'd need a pretty thin reed. Then the cuckoo bellows would still provide the air needed.

18. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am actually trying something like that with an old cuckoo flute tube - so far it sounds more like a frog

19. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It might be easier to design a fast frog for the clock face anyway :D

20. THTanner

THTanner Registered User