Cuckoo Clock Music Box question

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
This is a chalet style Cuckoo with dancers, waterwheel and head smasher action figure, with a Regula 34 movement and separate chain for the dancers and music box. It came in because the ratchet for the music box chain was totally locked. The click spring had broken inside the ratchet and jammed it. I ordered and replaced this ratchet wheel assembly with the identical part.

The music box has a two tune drum. If I set it to play music on the hour only the music weight goes down a lot slower than the time and strike weights. If I set it to play the hour and the half hour, which is how I think it is supposed to work, the music weight falls faster than the time and strike. While the time and strike are 8 day, if the music plays hour and half hour you have to wind the music after 6 days.

The only solution to this that I can think of is to change the gear on the music drum with a slightly smaller gear, relocate the music box mount slightly, and thereby change the ratio of chain links to 1/2 rotation of the music drum. So far I cannot find a slightly smaller gear for the music box drum. Any other ideas?
thanks
tom

CC.jpg CC2.jpg

GregS

Sep 4, 2008
Machesney Park, Illinois
Country
Region
Looks like a Phillips head screw holding the music box in. Are you sure everything is original? Changing gears on the music box will likely change the tempo of the music. Is your replacement ratchet wheel an exact duplicate?

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
Looks like a Phillips head screw holding the music box in. Are you sure everything is original? Changing gears on the music box will likely change the tempo of the music. Is your replacement ratchet wheel an exact duplicate?
As far as I know it is all original. The music box mounting block was held in with two Phillips head screws but also had two nickle sized smears of glue behind it which had to be broken free after the two screws were removed. The screws mounting the music box to the mounting block do not look like what I would expect, but the owner claims it has never been worked on. You never know really when they say that. They are the original owners and the clock is not that old. They bought it Germany 12 years ago.
The replacement part matched exactly in diameter and number of teeth - from BlackForestImports for Regula 34 with external music chain.
The change needed in the diameter of the driven gear on the music drum will speed the music up some unless a larger governor fan was put in, but I don't think the slightly faster music would be a problem. If I put a larger gear in and had the music play on the hour only it would sound too slow.
Right now the owner is resigned to raising all the weights every six days, or mounting it higher on the wall with a longer chain for the music,
It just seems weird that it does not match correctly at either once an hour or twice an hour.

Do these two tune drums sometimes play only on the hour? If I set it that way then it will run 8 days on a single winding with the music weight only part way down.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Do these two tune drums sometimes play only on the hour? If I set it that way then it will run 8 days on a single winding with the music weight only part way down.
Yes it should only play on the hour, just adjust the activation lever (the black lever), you will see that the drop is different, longer drop on the hour than the half hour, therefore set it up on the half hour to just touch the music box lever and not set the music going and then when it does the hour it will travel lower and trip the music box lever.

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
Yes it should only play on the hour, just adjust the activation lever (the black lever), you will see that the drop is different, longer drop on the hour than the half hour, therefore set it up on the half hour to just touch the music box lever and not set the music going and then when it does the hour it will travel lower and trip the music box lever.
I have no problem setting it either way. The problem is that the music weight does not descend properly with either setting.

When I researched this on a Black Forest cuckoo clock page it said "Typically, 8 day cuckoo clocks play music only on the hour." But it gave no examples of when that was not true. The owner claims this one played on the hour and the half hour in the shop when they bought it in Germany and has always been that way. Perhaps it was set up wrong to begin with, but apparently there are some exceptions.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Sounds crazy, but how hard would it be on that style ratchet to put the old gear into the new clock assembly.....z usually they just pull apart.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I would ask the owner which way it was before, and set it that way. He's used to winding the music side differently than the others. I suspect that the music box has been replaced. He just doesn't remember it.

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
I would ask the owner which way it was before, and set it that way. He's used to winding the music side differently than the others. I suspect that the music box has been replaced. He just doesn't remember it.
Yes - that was the final decision - they picked it up yesterday with hour and half hour music which is what they are used to.

Funny story with their clock. It has the action figure on the front of the chalet with the lady smashing the man's head with a rolling pin. I asked the lady why they had a clock with such violence. She said they had gone to Austria and all their luggage was late arriving. She and her husband were both tired and grumpy and got into a fight. Her husband asked if she wanted to separate right then. She was puzzled that after 30 years of marriage he would divorce her in Austria. He said - No - I mean just go our separate ways for an hour or two and meet at a restaurant for dinner. When they met later that afternoon they saw this clock in the window of a shop with the lady smashing the man's head and started laughing. They made up and bought the clock as a reminder.

Reactions: Simon Holt

Robert Horneman

Jul 6, 2017
Country
Yes - that was the final decision - they picked it up yesterday with hour and half hour music which is what they are used to.

Funny story with their clock. It has the action figure on the front of the chalet with the lady smashing the man's head with a rolling pin. I asked the lady why they had a clock with such violence. She said they had gone to Austria and all their luggage was late arriving. She and her husband were both tired and grumpy and got into a fight. Her husband asked if she wanted to separate right then. She was puzzled that after 30 years of marriage he would divorce her in Austria. He said - No - I mean just go our separate ways for an hour or two and meet at a restaurant for dinner. When they met later that afternoon they saw this clock in the window of a shop with the lady smashing the man's head and started laughing. They made up and bought the clock as a reminder.
That is a great story!

Reactions: THTanner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtvx
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff