Cuckoo Clock Music Box Cam

Larry Orr

NAWCC Member
Nov 4, 2019
Crestview FL
Country
Region
I am working on a Regula 25 movement cuckoo clock with side mounted music box. The cam on the minute arbor has a small and large lobe. Can you adjust the cam so the music box will play on the hour and half hour? I've been reading William Bilger's cuckoo repair manual and he doesn't describe how to adjust the cam. The music box has two holes and I "think" it should play on both the hour and half hour. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Larry

Larry Orr

NAWCC Member
Nov 4, 2019
Crestview FL
Country
Region
I had looked at that previously and although good information it has nothing about the cam on the minute arbor. Thanks!

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
You don't need to adjust the star-cam. It's the actuating levers that trip the music box. Study the link I sent. It will lead you to the answer. I don't think I can add anything to help you. Maybe someone else will have more. Good luck with it. Danny

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, Dan is correct. You are looking to change the wrong part. Study how things move as it sets up for the music. Then see what needs to be tweaked to make it start on the 1/2 hour too. But ..... if the weights are moving at the same basic rate over the course of a day then don't change anything. If the music weight is only going about half as far in a day as the time weight, then you are correct. It should play at the 1/2 too.

Reactions: disciple_dan

Larry Orr

NAWCC Member
Nov 4, 2019
Crestview FL
Country
Region
I read that link several more times and shutterbug was correct. I was looking in the wrong place. As it turns out I needed to adjust the distance between the pull lever and the activating lever. Once I did that the music box plays on both the half hour and hour. I really appreciate your help, I don't work on cuckoo clocks very often. Thanks again! Larry :cool:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
They can be addictive, Larry. Once you get the bug, you can't stop :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisWinston
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller