Cuckoo Clock Minute Hand

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by TimeafterTime, Dec 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TimeafterTime

TimeafterTime Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Folks,

I have a one day cuckoo clock with a Hubert Herr Movement. I have it cleaned and back in the case, however the minute hand doesn't move. I can turn the hand manually but as the clock runs the minute hand doesn't rotate. This has the square hole minute hand. I put the hour hand on first, then the nut goes on behind the minute hand, then the minute hand goes on then the minute hand retaining nut. I'm thinking I don't have something right with the way I put the hands on. I could use your assistance, thanks to everyone who will offer suggestions and help.

DSCN1645.JPG DSCN1649.JPG

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    First, is the minute hand free on the shaft? It should have plenty of end shake. If not, temporarly loosen the outer nut and see what happens.

Second, does the minute hand have good friction when you rotate it? If it turns with little or no effort, your problem is likely at the clutch located on the front of your movement. The clutch spring could be installed wrong, or missing a washer on its driving shaft. Willie X

3. TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Willie, thanks. I attached another photo showing the pressure spring which i'm guessing needs to be bent to make it a little stronger because the minute hand does turn to freely and loose. Would you say i'm on the right track with that?

DSCN1652.JPG

4. TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Willie, thanks for your help. I got the issue resolved. I little more tension on the spring is what the issue was. I always appreciate this message board.

Bujumon likes this.
  5. Peter John

Peter John Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Watch and clock repair
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you have the nut arrange wrong. On Hubert Herr clocks the minute hand goes on first. The square hole should set against the end of the threaded portion of the post. Then the first nut locks the minute hand in place. The second nut then goes on the threaded post to keep the endshake proper. The washer does not belong where you have it. If the washer has a square hole I would put it on first and then the minute hand , then the first nut to lock the minute hand, then the second nut. Do not bend anything. Hubert Herr clocks have a different system than the Regula clocks. Peter

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Yep, Peter spotted something important. Some of these have a nut fore and aft but the hand can't be tightened unless there is a nut at the front.

Sometimes the outer nut has to be punched a bit, if it threads on to far. From the photo, that may be the case.

WIllie X

7. Peter John

Peter John Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Watch and clock repair
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Let me clarify that some.(what I wrote before). The outer nut on Hubert Herr has to tighten down and lock the square tube minute hand assembly. The outer nut is on the center wheel post, which turns with the running of the clock. It’s not like the antique cuckoos where the nut is on a post that does not turn. Peter

8. TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Peter, thanks for that info. I took your advice and made the changes as you described. I removed the washer completely, I don't think it was necessary. It has been awhile since I had a Hubert Herr in and couldn't remember the correct order placement. When these come in, they're not always correct. I was putting it back on as the way it came in. The clock seems to be running smooth now.

9. TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's a picture of the way I have it set up now. The minute hand first then the hand retaining nut, then the last nut. Do we think this is correct now?

DSCN1660.JPG

10. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #10 Willie X, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Yes, that looks better but if that washer had a square hole that fit the square part of the hour hand cannon snugly, it probably belongs behind the hand as Peter stated.

It's the typical old school way of doing things. The outer (post) nut doesn't do anything, except keep the hour hand cannon in position. This outer nut should only be hand tight. It tightens only because the threads on the post are made in a way that stops the nut short of touching the hour cannon. If the hour hand cannon is free to jiggle in and out a bit on the post, all is good.

Willie X

11. Kim Miller

Kim Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought a nut goes on first, but just far enough for the minute hand to catch the square, then the minute hand, then the washer, then the outer nut. The original picture from the OP shows the correct arrangement, but the inside nut probably has to be unscrewed a bit so it doesn't lock up the hour cannon. This is the way I've always done it. Maybe I'm wrong:???:

Bujumon likes this.