• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Cuckoo clock mainwheel

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region
Hi folks,

Can anyone guide me as to what to do with this cuckoo clock mainwheel. The clock spring is broken and no longer catches. This would be on the music side of the movement. Can I replace this wheel or can this wheel be repaired? I have posted a picture.

20211223_174742.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Clamp the arbor in a vise and pull that brass collar off.

I use a pair of parallel jaw pliers for this job. A groove in the jaws makes for a better grip. Just wiggle the collar (rotate slightly back and forth) while pulling the collar straight off.

The trouble should be obvious, once the assembly comes apart.

Merry Christmas,. Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
By "spring" I'm assuming a click spring? Should be fairly easy to repair.

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region

I use a pair of parallel jaw pliers for this job. A groove in the jaws makes for a better grip. Just wiggle the collar (rotate slightly back and forth) while pulling the collar straight off.

Thank you so much for your reply and help. Happy New Year!

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region

The problem is probably obvious to those who know how to repair this. I've made an attempt to make a spring for this using brass spring wire, however I can't figure out what keeps the chain wheel from slipping on the arbor. Does anyone have a drawing of this or could guide me on how to prevent this from slipping on the arbor. I don't know if my spring is not tight enough on the arbor. Since the spring was broken when I took it apart I'm have trouble on figuring this out. I look forward to your assistance. Thanks

20211230_022402.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
When you put it on the wheel, there should be a brass collar holding it tight with friction. If that collar is too loose, you'll have to make a new one, buy a new wheel or steal one from a parts movement. The spring might be a tension spring of some sort to keep the chain from slipping. What kind of movement do you have?

Reactions: Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The coil spring will need to be made of steel. These springs were once sold as a repair part, so you may be able to still find one somewhere? If not you may be able to find a replacement chain wheel assembly, or replace the old movement with a new Regula, if possible.
Happy New Year, Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I found a suitable spring at a local hardware store a few years back. You could try that.

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region
Reactions: Keith Doster

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Replacement springs were made for a long time after your clock was made but there is always an end to parts availably.

Some piano wire, of the exact diameter, heated and wound on a mandrel of just the right diameter, should give you the results you need to get your clock back in action. Be sure to get the correct wind direction. :)

Note, piano wire will ruin most cutting tools but is easy to cut using a thin cut off wheel in the ole Dremel tool. You can also cut piano wire using the edge of a regular bench grinder. Make the cut a little long and then true up the end on the side of the wheel.

This effort will (most likely)/ take several attempts, so don't give up.

Willie X

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you decide to make one, search for "How To Make A Spring" in the archives here ;)

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
I just happened to run across this article in the book, "Challenging Repairs to Interesting Clocks" by Edwin U. Sowers III.

IMG_1428.jpg

If you have access to the July 1999 edition of the Clockmakers Newsletter, you can also read it there (as it says at the beginning of the article).

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I just happened to run across this article in the book, "Challenging Repairs to Interesting Clocks" by Edwin U. Sowers III.

View attachment 688178

If you have access to the July 1999 edition of the Clockmakers Newsletter, you can also read it there (as it says at the beginning of the article).
Can you post this article? Are there any on the general repair of cuckoo main wheels?

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
Sorry, Powerstroke, I can't post the article because it is copyrighted material. And I believe that is the only cuckoo clock repair article in the book. :( If you are an NAWCC member, you might be able to check out the book from their Library.

Reactions: POWERSTROKE

TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
Country
Region
Sorry, Powerstroke, I can't post the article because it is copyrighted material. And I believe that is the only cuckoo clock repair article in the book. :( If you are an NAWCC member, you might be able to check out the book from their Library.
Are you able to email this article?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseysomm
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-