Cuckoo clock keeps stopping

dullster

Feb 20, 2021
Country
I have restored an old cuckoo clock. When I start the pendulum it will tick for about a minute than slowly stop.
I had to replace the chains, the weights, bellows, cleaned the gear box, bought a replacement back, new hands and brought a pendulum. I have timed it as best I can, which appears to be rocking evenly. (Don’t know the terms). Any suggestions? 7F787FD1-91A7-4F65-9235-55D5BDE74AD7.jpeg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Greetings,
One thing, your pendulum is to big for the clock. Also, everyone will want to know more about your "cleaning of the gearbox". Willie X

dullster

Feb 20, 2021
Country
I took the clock apart and soaked in the clock ammonia cleaner for 24 hours, than with a toothpick and toothbrush, scrubbed and rubbed. After, I rinsed it with water and dried with a blow drier. I let it sit over night to dry out then oiled every little oil hole with clock oil. How did I do? I thought I ordered a small pendulum. Is there a ratio of size it should be? Shouldn’t my clock still run regardless of size?
This was my husbands grandfather clock so I watched a lot of videos to clean it, oil it and time it.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
How about a picture of the inside of the cuckoo house.
What is stamped on the movement back plate?
It looks like you have weights for a 30 hour run clock movement.
Is the movement an 8 day movement?
You said " I have restored an old cuckoo clock."
If it is old enough, the movement is probably worn to the point that it cannot be dependable.
Dick

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Pendulum size is not critical but that one is to big. This would make a borderline movement undependable. Did you check your movement for wear. Look up " checking for wear". Willie X

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
How about a picture of the inside of the cuckoo house.
What is stamped on the movement back plate?
It looks like you have weights for a 30 hour run clock movement.
Is the movement an 8 day movement?
You said " I have restored an old cuckoo clock."
If it is old enough, the movement is probably worn to the point that it cannot be dependable.
Dick
8 day movements have the weights on the outside case holes

dullster

Feb 20, 2021
Country
I weighted the existing weight I had and order weights that were the same weight. 275. I believe it’s a one day clock. These are the 2 I currently have without taking more

028342C5-E97E-4DC5-9E0B-D718D4304C48.jpeg FB7058B5-87B0-4ECA-B891-B5772ACDFB33.jpeg

dullster

Feb 20, 2021
Country
I weighted the existing weight I had and order weights that were the same weight. 275. I believe it’s a one day clock. These are the 2 I currently have without taking more

View attachment 641489 View attachment 641490
Pendulum size is not critical but that one is to big. This would make a borderline movement undependable. Did you check your movement for wear. Look up " checking for wear". Willie X
I just ordered a 6” pendulum. Will try that. I thought the gears looked good and didn‘t seem to have excessive if any play.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
This is an older clock, so it would probably have had 320, 375, or 420gm weights. Tomorrow ... I can look this up in my notes, if you like. Willie X

Reactions: NEW65

dullster

Feb 20, 2021
Country
This is an older clock, so it would probably have had 320, 375, or 420gm weights. Tomorrow ... I can look this up in my notes, if you like. Willie X
That would be wonderful. I added extra weight to the side that runs the clock but it didn‘t seem to help. The weight that it had with it was a 275. Reading up on it said I could go heavier with no problem, so I looked at the 320 but I think were ever I was ordering from came in sets of 3. I’m hoping the shorter pendulum will do it. The timing sounds good (ticking). I appreciate your help. Fixing clocks is almost addictive. I really enjoyed it.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Try running it with the hands removed. Also, it looks like there is a wire over the bird and it should be under it. Check the bellow wires connections, the higher note should come first.

dullster

Feb 20, 2021
Country
Try running it with the hands removed. Also, it looks like there is a wire over the bird and it should be under it. Check the bellow wires connections, the higher note should come first.
This was a progress photo. The wire is under the bird. The bellows work if I run them manually. I checked that because the wires were missing and had to replace the wires.

dullster

Feb 20, 2021
Country
Pendulum wire looks bent. Make sure it's not rubbing the case and that the clock is flat against the wall.
The timing wire is a little bent to get it to rock evenly. I will check the pendulum wire this weekend. As much messing around as it did. It would be bent as well. I’ve tried running it without the back to make sure it is flush with the wall but it didn’t change anything. Although I will try it again.

dullster

Feb 20, 2021
Country
This was a progress photo. The wire is under the bird. The bellows work if I run them manually. I checked that because the wires were missing and had to replace the wires.
The only thing I didn’t try was with the hands removed. I will try that.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
The timing wire is a little bent to get it to rock evenly. I will check the pendulum wire this weekend. As much messing around as it did. It would be bent as well. I’ve tried running it without the back to make sure it is flush with the wall but it didn’t change anything. Although I will try it again.
Let us talk about bent;
I'm sure many members know mine.
What you really need, is straight and level.

Make this your mantra.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Nothing really jumps out at me, but I think Willie is correct about the weight. Those old count wheel movements often used very heavy weights .... about 1/2 the weight of modern 8 day clocks. Check to be sure the crutch loop is centered on the pendulum hanger, and not too tight. A tiny bit of oil there is OK, and put a smear of oil on one of the pallets, so it it transferred to the teeth of the escape wheel. That's the only wheel where the teeth should be oiled. NOT MUCH oil :)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That's a Regula '01'. It requires 420gm weights. Hopefully, "thar's yer problem".
Willie X

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
My Herr 30 hour with a count wheel has original 276 gram weights. I suppose that if you did not disassemble the clock and clean/peg holes and fix wear, you might expect needing the additional weight to overcome the dirt and wear as it is a fairly light weight? Have you tried it without the hands?

dullster

Feb 20, 2021
Country
My Herr 30 hour with a count wheel has original 276 gram weights. I suppose that if you did not disassemble the clock and clean/peg holes and fix wear, you might expect needing the additional weight to overcome the dirt and wear as it is a fairly light weight? Have you tried it without the hands?
I have not. I will try it tomorrow.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Full,
I wouldn't do anything until I had the proper 420gm weights. It will probably run just fine. Willie X

Reactions: JimmyOz

dullster

Feb 20, 2021
Country
Full,
I wouldn't do anything until I had the proper 420gm weights. It will probably run just fine. Willie X
I cheated and added another weight. It has stayed running. I need to work on the hands. I ordered some that didn’t quite fit so I did some modification to make it fit because one hand that was on it didn’t belong to the clock. I will try adjust the pendulum to see if it is just to slow first. Thank you for all your help. Do you have a book with all this info. How did you know what kind it was?

dullster

Feb 20, 2021
Country
I cheated and added another weight. It has stayed running. I need to work on the hands. I ordered some that didn’t quite fit so I did some modification to make it fit because one hand that was on it didn’t belong to the clock. I will try adjust the pendulum to see if it is just to slow first. Thank you for all your help. Do you have a book with all this info. How did you know what kind it was?
Drum roll.....and the winner is....weights. I received the new weights and it has ran ever since. With a little adjusting of the bird, it is ticking and cuckooing just like (almost) new.
Thanks for the help. Now to find another one to fix.

Reactions: roughbarked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcfly88
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff