Cuckoo Clock Keeps chiming

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by scorehit, Apr 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. scorehit

scorehit New Member

Apr 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My Cuckoo clock will strike every 20 minutes and continue until the weight goes all the way to the floor. However, if I manually advance the minute hand 10 minutes while it is striking it will stop. How do I fix? Thanks!

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Sounds like the gathering pallet and rack are not synchronising. It could be that the gathering pallet snail is loose on the shaft or it could be that the rack has caught up or it could be that the stop mechanism isn't working properly. All of which require taking the movement out for a look.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I think this will do better in the Clock Repair forum. I will move it there. In the meantime, it would be good to see some pictures of the movement.

4. scorehit

scorehit New Member

Apr 21, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Kind of new to clock repair. How would I synchronize the gathering pallet and rack?. Also how do I tighten the snail? Attaching pics to help. Thanks!

Movement_Handshaft[1].jpg Movement_Isometric_1[1].jpg

5. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Pull on the strike chain and turn the hands to the O'clock position, watch how the strike mechanism works.

6. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    The warning pin must lock out at the same time it drops in to the gathering pallet. Plus the inside cam that causes the drop must be almost vertical. 3 things come into play at the same time. If the snail is lose. You can tighten the back side by re-staking.

7. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The most likely problem is the joint on the rack hook is dirty (see red arrow on pic). Try cleaning the joint with some 'brake cleaner', don't oil it.

Movement_Handshaft[1].jpg

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The problem Chris mentions is a common one on this movement. When this thin and weird looking extension is completely free on it's post/rivet the rack hook can fall a bit further and the train will stop properly. Willie X