Cuckoo clock Henry Kohler movement

narrowfarm

Aug 18, 2010
Hello, i just started working on this Henry Kohler cuckoo clock movement.I have been cleaning the pivot holes out. I noticed that when I tighten the nut for the hands, the clock does stop. When I loosen the hand nut, the clock runs. Any ideas:???: Thanks

20190323_115653.jpg 20190323_115710.jpg

Joseph Bautsch

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Country
Region
I've seen this hapen before. The center shaft does not move, it's locked in place. It's primary purpose is to hold the motion works in place. Make sure that there is a small amount of play between the hand washer, taper pin and the end of the minute hand pipe. This will allow the minute hand to turn freely. You should also put a domed hand washer, square hole, over the minute hand pipe, dome toward the hour pipe, then add the minute hand and lock it down with the minute hand nut. This prevents the minute hand from pushing back against the hour pipe and stop the clock. You may also have some wear at the bottom of the center shaft, and/or the minute hand pipe, which will cause the minute hand pipe to bind with the hour hand pipe when the hand nut is put on. You can correct that by filing down the hour pipe a small amount to increase the clearance between the hour pipe and the minute pipe. Just like the wheel arbors between the plates, there should always be a small amount of side play between the motion works components to allow them to turn freely.

Reactions: narrowfarm

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It doesn't look like you have enough room to mount the minute hand without touching the hour cannon. Did he clock run before? You might have to shorten the hour cannon a bit.

Reactions: narrowfarm

narrowfarm

Aug 18, 2010
It doesn't look like you have enough room to mount the minute hand without touching the hour cannon. Did he clock run before? You might have to shorten the hour cannon a bit.
Hello, Thanks you for your input! I was able to file down the Cannon a little bit so my minute hand does not hit the hour Cannon.! That was it !! thanks again!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
:thumb: You see little things like that on occasion. They sneak past the inspectors at the factory and make our job more difficult later on :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Czipco
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-