Cuckoo clock figures

powertop10

Dec 1, 2010
Oregon
Country
Region
I am in the process of restoring an older Trumpter clock.
The figure that comes out when the trumpet sounds are made is missing from the clock.
The door opening is 1 3/4 inch wide and 5 inches tall.
My question is does anyone have any trumpter figures or knows where to find them?
As a last resort does anyone know of a woodcarver that would take on a small project like this.
Thanks in advance.
Ed

Bonehands

Jul 9, 2006
www.bonehands.com
Country
I am in the process of restoring an older Trumpter clock.
The figure that comes out when the trumpet sounds are made is missing from the clock.
The door opening is 1 3/4 inch wide and 5 inches tall.
My question is does anyone have any trumpter figures or knows where to find them?
As a last resort does anyone know of a woodcarver that would take on a small project like this.
Thanks in advance.
Ed
Try Mike Schad at http://www.customclockmaker.com/ . Mike reproduces the figures you are looking for , although I do believe they are cast in resin rather than the original plaster .

Hope this helps ,
Roy

ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007
Hello!

I think Roy Thomlinson may be able to carve trumpeter figures. His website is www.bonehands.com. He does top quality work.

Thanks!

Neal
-> posts merged by system <-
Hello!

Sorry Roy; it seems we posted at the same time.

Thanks!

Neal

p.s. I got the numerals and hands installed on the 4 horn trumpeter. They look spectacular.
Hello!

Power; how many horns does your trumpeter have?

Thanks!

Neal

powertop10

Dec 1, 2010
Oregon
Country
Region
Thanks to all who replied.
The Trumperter that I am working on has three horns.
The bellows top and bottom for all three are present and the reeds all work well.
I have to replace the bellows material. This may be a small challange because of the age aof the clock the old material was gone.
The horns are gone also so I ordered some sheet brass to reproduce the horns.
If any one has expierence doing this I would appreciate a hand.
This group is very helpful and I am really glad that you are so willing to share your knowledge.
Regards
Ed

ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007
Hello!

I have experience restoring and making parts for trumpeters. Just a few months ago I had in a 3 horn trumpeter that was missing the bellows-reeds-and metal horns. I hand made all of the parts for that clock. I use galvanized steel sheets to make the metal horns instead of brass or copper. The galvanized steel looks a bit more original. All three horns must be different lengths for the tonal quality of the reeds to be correct. Make sure to cover the bellows with authentic leather and that the tops have the lead weights attached to them. The lead weights on trumpeter bellows are exposed. Have any more questions just ask away!

Thanks!

Neal
One more thing to add: trumpeter bellows are unlike cuckoo bellows. trumpeter bellows need card stock pieces glued to the inside of the leather while covering the bellow. This prevents the bellow material from blowing outward while under pressure. I can provide a pattern for you if you wish.
Roy, I will be sending you a picture soon.

ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007
Hello!

Here are the patterns. I backed them on orange paper so they would stand out a little bit. These should be made from card stock. The bellows should open at least 1 3/4". I use measurements for the horns from an original 3 horn trumpeter. I make all of my reproduction 3 horn trumpeter clock horns this size. The longest horn (goes to the lowest note) is 5 1/2" long. The mid sized horn is 5 1/3" long. The shortest horn is 4 3/4" long. Where you buy the leather depends on how much leather you will eventually use. If you need to cover a lot of bellows with leather you will want to contact a company that sells leather in quantity such as Columbia Organ Leathers. http://www.columbiaorgan.com/col/

If this is the only project you will be using leather for you can order it from Timesavers. You will need to order 3 pieces from www.timesavers.com. Part number is 18936.

Thanks!

Neal

Attachments

powertop10

Dec 1, 2010
Oregon
Country
Region
The movement I am working on is a G.H.S. 4 inch X4 inch and is missing one of the three rods that move the bellows wire.
The rod is 2 inches long and .17 inches thick. It has three wires; the small lock wire, the wire that is moved by the control wheel and the activation wire that controls the wire for the bellows.
Any idea of where I can find a piece like this?
On the three trumpeter clock you restored do you remember what the sequence of the horns were
Being that I am missing the above rod I don't know the sequence.
How did you determine the length of the metal horns
Regards
Ed
Ed

ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007
Hello!

The sequence should be the low note first, the middle range note second and the high note third. Can you provide a picture of the inside of the back of the clock? G.H.S would mean that your clock was made by Goridan Hettich & Sons. He made quiet a few trumpeters. I determined the length of the metal horns by measuring the length of antique (original) horns from another complete three horn trumpeter. If your clock is missing the bellow lifting lever or wires they both can be easily made. You probably won't find a ready made part for this clock.

Thanks!

Neal

powertop10

Dec 1, 2010
Oregon
Country
Region
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
The sequence you have provided will help me understand how to wire the bellows
I restore German anniversary clocks so the land of the Trumpeter clock is really daunting.
I was given this almost 5 foot GHS clock (in pieces). All of the wires are missing, as well as the horns. I have managed to rework the reeds and will complete the 3 bellows soon.
The wires can be figured out but I do not have a source for the wire.
The piece that is missing from my clock movement is one of the three pieces that ride the wheel that controls the trumpet activation. It's about 3/8 of inch thick and about 2 inches long. There are three wires inserted into the rod. One wires sits on the control wheel, the second is a small piece of wire that keeps the rod in place, and the third is about 2 inches long that the wire for the bellows movement will attach to.
I have no way to measure the horn length.
Again thanks for your time.
There are pictures of the movement posted at http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m604/powertop10/Clock/?action=view&current=DSCN0804.jpg

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Hi
I see now that you are missig the entire
lever and arbor that rides on the star wheel.
That is a little more than a piece of push rod.
You'd need at least a drill press and some
material to create one of those. A lethe
would be better.
The smaller part could be had from a hobby
store. Most carry what they call short lengths
of piano wire. The arbor would most likely
need to be turned from a larger piece.
You'd need to have a block made up to do
the drilling as well.
Tinker Dwight

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
The movement itself looks like a common early cuckoo movement. The lever parts could likely be scrounged from a parts movement much easier than making them.

powertop10

Dec 1, 2010
Oregon
Country
Region
Thanks for the input.
I have been watching EBay for a while with no luck.
I have purchased a few lots of parts but they are all too small.
When I get through with this project I am going to donate the extra parts to anybody that wants them.
Regards
Ed

ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007
Hello!

As suggested you can use steel rod (stock) to make the arbor and use piano wire for the levers. I had to make one of these for the last 3 horn trumpeter I restored. Beware of using cuckoo parts for these GHS trumpeter movements. They are much, much deeper than any cuckoo movement I have come across except for a shelf cuckoo movement. The arbor from a cuckoo movement would be too short.

Thanks!

Neal

ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007
Hello!

I guess i'm not understanding why you have no way to measure the horn length?

I do have a 3 horn trumpeter in for restorations at the moment. I will upload a photo of the movement soon so you can see what the top bellow lifting arbor/lever should look like. It is a bit different than the lower two.

Thanks!

Neal

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello!

As suggested you can use steel rod (stock) to make the arbor and use piano wire for the levers. I had to make one of these for the last 3 horn trumpeter I restored. Beware of using cuckoo parts for these GHS trumpeter movements. They are much, much deeper than any cuckoo movement I have come across except for a shelf cuckoo movement. The arbor from a cuckoo movement would be too short.

Thanks!

Neal
Thanks for correcting me, Neal. I was just going by appearance, as I don't have experience with trumpeters:rolleyes:.

powertop10

Dec 1, 2010
Oregon
Country
Region
I would really appreciate a picture of your 3 trumpet clock as the wiring for the trumpets and the figure are missing from mine.
The reason I can not measure the horns is they are missinfg too.
Thanks
Ed

ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007
Hello!

Here are pictures of a 3 horn trumpeter clock. I will be restoring this clock soon. I will overhaul the movement, make repalcement metal horns, recover the bellows and repair case damage. This clock belongs to Robin aka Oxblood2 on this board. I have included a few pictures of my Goridan Hettich two horn shelf trumpeter with its original metal horns. Also, I have included pictures of the bellows/horn assemblies that I make for trumpeter clocks missing such parts. I hand make the bellow tops, reed block and metal horns.

Thanks!

Neal

Attachments

powertop10

Dec 1, 2010
Oregon
Country
Region
Thanks for posting the pictures; they are a great help.
Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruralchick
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller