cuckoo clock bird stuck

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by alanrr, Apr 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. alanrr

alanrr Registered User

Apr 2, 2017
    Monterey, California,USA
    Country Flag:
    I installed the new bellows in my cuckoo clock, but the bird is stuck open. Is something keeping the bar with bird to close the door?

Thank you, alanrr

2. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes.

(smarty-pants answer)

Typically, there's a latch of one of two kinds on the lefthand side of the movement, that locks to hold the bird out during the cuckoo sequence, then releases when it's over. Most likely it's not releasing. For some reason.

What brand of movement is it? Can you show us a picture of its innards with the back off?

3. alanrr

alanrr Registered User

Apr 2, 2017
    Monterey, California,USA
    Country Flag:
    I have photos, when can I them?
    alanrr

4. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At the top of the Clock Repair forum, there's a thread on How To Post Pictures. Read it.

5. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is usually a wire attached to one bellows top that lifts the bird's tail. Make sure that wire is in the right position and not somehow hanging things up. If the bird knew when to come in before, just replacing the bellows tops should not have caused any problem with the latching device or anything inside the movement. Perhaps the pictures will yield a clue.

RC

6. alanrr

alanrr Registered User

Apr 2, 2017
    Monterey, California,USA
    Country Flag:
    Thank you
    alanrr

7. alanrr

alanrr Registered User

Apr 2, 2017
    Monterey, California,USA
    Country Flag:
    Hello again, 2 photos back and front
    alanrr
    300762.jpg 300762.jpg

8. alanrr

alanrr Registered User

Apr 2, 2017
    Monterey, California,USA
    Country Flag:
    OOPs, and back
    alanrr
    300763.jpg

9. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Alan,
    To my mind, the platform of the bird is hitting against the side of the door (not the movable door, I mean the hole) Look at the blue arrow.
    If you loosen a little the screw (red arrow) and push the platform leftwards and then 300769.jpg tighten the screw again, I think that your problem will be solved.

Hope that it helps:)

Aitor

Attached Files:

10. alanrr

alanrr Registered User

Apr 2, 2017
    Monterey, California,USA
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Altor, I moved the bird 2mm to the left. Then the bird ran until the weight hit the floor. Something is stopping the bar the bird to close the door.
    alan

11. Clockrepairforfun

Clockrepairforfun Registered User

Jan 31, 2017
    Credit Analyst
    Kent, WA
    Country Flag:
    I had the same problem. There is a spring that retracts the bird. You'll see it, but unfortunately, you may have to take the movement out (not disassemble) to see it.

cs

12. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you remove the movement when you replaced the bellows tops? If not, then if the spring retracted the bird before that should not be the problem now. Are the bellows tops the same size and the original. In the photo it almost looks like the top of the bellows dould be into the bird arm.

You might slip that left whistle & bellows out of the case for a better look at what's going on.

RC

13. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can you push it back in with your finger? or when you push on it (the door) does it feel like it is 'locked' in place? details matter with this one:D

14. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some general tips.

The left bellow is lifted by the upper lifting lever and gets the shorter lifting wire.
    The right bellow is lifted by the bottom lifting lever and gets the longer lifting wire.

If either of your lifting levers are bent up too high then the cuckooing will stop or slow down drastically.
    Same thing if the lifting wires are too long. The bellows only stretches open just so wide. About 1 inch stretch open is good enough. Else the movement may stop from the bellows not being able to stretch open wider.

You can sometimes compensate by adjusting the angle of the lifting lever (bending them up/down) but this affects loudness and timing. The more downward levers are bent the more softer the chirp and closer together chirps are apart. The more upward the larger the bellows stroke is louder and farther time between chirps.

Sometimes there is an advantage to removing the hands and the dial so you can see front lever action. It may just need a spot of oil on the two joints of the bird rod/axis. And/or tightening of spring wire that retracts bird.

Many cuckoos are Regula and the oiling of the rod the bird swings on is typical.

RJ

15. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not on this movement
    300807.jpg

Attached Files:

16. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #16 RJSoftware, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
    Well, yep. :) I'll rephrase but probably some exception as well.

On the typical cuckoo movement the lower lever gets the long wire which typically operates the right bellows
    and the upper lever operates the left bellows with shorter wire.

RJ

17. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No problem, they are somewhat 'rare birds'. I always put the wires on the wrong way when I assemble them. Then I go back and check this clock and remember how they're supposed to be. One of these days I'll remember without having to go to a reference... maybe:D.

18. alanrr

alanrr Registered User

Apr 2, 2017
    Monterey, California,USA
    Country Flag:
    Thank you to all the answered my question. I think I will remove the movement and look to a problem.
    alanrr

19. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Some times the wire that pushes the door can cause it to hang.
    Tinker Dwight