• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

cuckoo clock age and manufacturer

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
Greetings Francesco,

I think it´s not very old and I assume I know the facturer. Tell us the patent number, that will give us a more exact date and the name of the facturer.

Regareds albra

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
Welcome to the Message Board, Francesco.
You might want to edit your User Profile and show your country's flag, so we can tell where all
those nice Black Forest clocks go to. ;)

The patent is post WW 2 and has an interesting story.
It applies to a chain drive, especially for Black Forest clocks and the inventor was Eligius Hummel of Schonach.
The user of the patent was the largest cuckoo movement producer in Germany, Jos. Burger & Sons, Schonach.
Due to the special German postwar history, the patent first went to the French in 1947.
Then, after the founding of the Federal Republic of Germany it was acknowledged in 1948 and granted per new
legislation in July 1949. Finally, the patent was published in 1951.
So, all in all, you have an early post WW 2 cuckoo clock, with a movement made by Burger.
Yet, still we do not know the "maker" of the clock itself and perhaps never will be able to find out. :whistle:

I took the freedom of editing your picture, turning them right side up.

junior2001

New User
Jun 25, 2013
italy
Country
Thank you for your reply. It s a little strange cuckoo because of it' s color and because it has 4 leafs and a bag instead of 5 leafs. Moreover i ve never seen that type of doors on left and right of it with that unusual opening system.

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
The bag, or pouch was a common motive on so called hunter cuckoos. Most often there where hunting horns (music instruments)
or crossed rifles as an addition.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
The doors were a volume control of sorts.
They used to be used on one side of the clock
for triggering and syncing the count on count
wheel type movements but that is no longer needed.
Tinker Dwight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent