Cuckoo chimes and cuckoo's too fast

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by blindowl1234, Mar 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. blindowl1234

blindowl1234 New Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I have a cuckoo clock from George Kuehl Clock Co Chicago, Illinois circa 1900. I've had it since 1981 and over the years no major issues until recently.
    It cuckoo's on the half hour fine, the top of the hour is the problem. For instance at noon it will cuckoo very fast for say the first four cuckoo's at noon, ABC1Cuckoo.jpg then something
    appears to engage and the rest of the cuckoo's are normal. I've looked and there's nothing that appears worn or out of place inside. Any ideas on what to look for?
    It was working fine one day and then the next it just started this problem. Thanks in advance.

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The fly at the top of the movement is probably loose on it's shaft. Test by holding the fly's shaft stationery with one finger and turning the fly. You should feel some resistance. No resistance ... best to remove the fly to restore the tension/friction.
    Willie X

3. blindowl1234

blindowl1234 New Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #3 blindowl1234, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Thanks! I didn't see a fly unless I can't see it. I attached a pic of the inside. ABC1Cuckooguts.jpg

4. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are two pictures of a similar movement- although not lyre - showing where the fly should be and yours with a red arrow pointing to the arbor where the fly should be attached. Note that the fly is quite small. On mine it is approx 12 x 24 mm.

Attached Files:

5. blindowl1234

blindowl1234 New Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Ok I see it in the picture now. Looks like a project for next weekend maybe. Thanks

6. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Timesavers, Black Forrest and others have fans and fan blanks if you need some