• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Cuckoo bellow whistle?

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Euclid Ohio
Country
Region
Hi guys, I have had this problem before and usually corrected it by shortening the lift wire but that is not working on this one. The bellow is making the whistle sound like if you force the bellow closed manually, I'm sure you all know what I mean. If I just let this bellow drop without being attached it works OK. It is like for some reason it is dropping too fast when it's hooked up. Is there any way to slow down the drop when it is hooked up in the clock? I don't get what could be making it drop faster when it is installed in the clock?
I should mention that the bellow tubes are the older all wood tubes, no plastic top. So in case I or anyone else had to replace the bellow tops I just put 2 tiny drops of wood glue to put the new bellows on so that they can be broken off easily. Could it be a leak situation? Thanks for any help in advance, T.K.

DSCI0164.JPG DSCI0165.JPG

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The 8 day clock bellows have a heavier weight in them. It's possible that you got one of them instead of the 30 hour variety. The weight is on the top, under the paper cover. You could switch it out and put a penny in it instead, or get one made for the movement. You can feel the indentation where it goes. You might also be able to restrict the airflow, but I've never tried it that way.

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Euclid Ohio
Country
Region
Yeah, I haven't taken out the weight yet, but I will and see. I have never tried restricting the airflow either. Would you have to restrict it by slightly making the hole in the bellow top smaller? I have tried to cover the slot in the bellow tube slightly and I know that does not work. T.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
I'm having the same trouble with one. I'm going to solve the problem this afternoon when I get my present patient to the recovery test room.
I'll be watching this thread for probable solutions and /or posting some. Good luck with it, Danny

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Euclid Ohio
Country
Region
Well, I'll be darned, taking that tiny little weight did it. And thank you Shutterbug I did not know that there is different weights for 1 or 8 day bellows. I guess just the hanging weight of the lift wire and the movement arm is enough to close the bellow.

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Euclid Ohio
Country
Region
I am going to experiment with the idea of restricting the airflow at the entry point at the bellow top and the top of the bellow tubes to see what happens and I will post what I find out unless someone here has already tried that. I have had this problem many times before and it would be nice to have more of a handle on how to fix it in each situation.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
The one I'm having trouble with is a replacement movement with the original bellows that were working fine with the other movement. With mine, it's as if there is some sort of binding at end of the lift, and when it releases it's kind of flicking the arm down. the bellow is far from topping out so I'm just going to have to watch closely and I'm sure it will become apparent. Something simple. It's always something simple AFTER you find it. Danny

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Euclid Ohio
Country
Region
I find that you have to just keep staring at it, then walk away and take a break and come back and start to watch it again and sometimes the reason just pops out at you. sounds stupid but it works.

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Euclid Ohio
Country
Region
I am having issues with the donation process that I never had before, can someone tell me where to post a question about that?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'll alert Tom McIntyre. He'll know what to do :)
You could also post the specifics in the Forum Help section.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The glue needs to go all around the hole, but none at the very edge of the hole.

I use Elmer's Glue-All. A small bead around the hole in the bellow, at about halfway between the hole and the edge. Lightly push the bellow top in place, remove and see exactly where the glue went, adjust the glue as necessary and replace the top with a small weight on top for at least one hour, overnight is best.

Those old leather bellows often have to be replaced. The material becomes to stiff, or cracks. Reducing the lift height may help.

Willie X

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Euclid Ohio
Country
Region
Well, I'll be darned, taking that tiny little weight did it. And thank you Shutterbug I did not know that there is different weights for 1 or 8 day bellows. I guess just the hanging weight of the lift wire and the movement arm is enough to close the bellow.

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Euclid Ohio
Country
Region
Well, I spoke too soon, it still has a slight whisping sound, back to the drawing board. I guess I am going to have to take the top back off and try restricting the amount of airflow unless anyone has a better idea? T.

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Euclid Ohio
Country
Region
No one available. But here is something I just tried. I cut a small portion out of the escape slot of 2 old bellow tubes that both had that whistle when closing too fast. This stopped the whistle on both of them. I don't know if this is the way, but it did stop the whistle. I'm not sure I want to do it to the good one that goes in my cuckoo though. I think I'll wait and see if someone here says yes that does work for sure. T.

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Euclid Ohio
Country
Region
Well guys, I don't know if I just did a no no but I took a chance and notched my good one and it worked perfectly even after putting the weight back in. So I would say try it on one of your own (junk) bellows and tubes and see what you think. Until then I am just going to wait and see what the real experts here have to say about the fix. T.

Last edited:

TopFuel123

Sep 27, 2012
Euclid Ohio
Country
Region
Any port in a storm, and I guess I'm just a hack!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanette7fl
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-