Cuckoo bell just won't ring.....only clunk

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by phylrick, Jan 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. phylrick

phylrick Registered User

Jan 14, 2017
    Guys I have an 8 day cuckoo and all is well except the bell. This has an actual bell rather than the normal coil gong. No matter how I adjust the bell it clunks. If I tap the bell, holding a small screwdriver loosely, it rings fine. I replaced the tip with a regular movement head with an inserted a steel tip. It seems to me that the way the arm hits is the problem, because If I hold the small screwdriver more tightly, I get the clunky sound that the clock produces.I have adjusted it so it barely taps the bell....about 1/8 inch above, at rest. Anyone have a suggestion...I've never had this problem before.

2. phylrick

phylrick Registered User

Jan 14, 2017
    Guys I have an 8 day cuckoo and all is well except the bell. This has an actual bell rather than the normal coil gong. No matter how I adjust the bell it clunks. If I tap the bell, holding a small screwdriver loosely, it rings fine. I replaced the tip with a regular movement head with an inserted a steel tip. It seems to me that the way the arm hits is the problem, because If I hold the small screwdriver more tightly, I get the clunky sound that the clock produces.I have adjusted it so it barely taps the bell....about 1/8 inch above, at rest. I have adjusted this multiple times with the head striking at the bells edge and also farther in on the round area with little ....actually no, luck. Anyone have a suggestion...I've never had this problem before.

3. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Gardener/Arborist
    It sounds like a little more trial/error is needed. There may be so much force when the arm throws, that the metal wire flexes.

4. Chris D

Chris D Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    That's a good one! I've had a few with the bell, they had the silicone tipped hammer to ring them. Are there any access doors on the sides of the clock? Usually you can look through one with a flashlight and watch the hammer. It's sounds to me like the bell is touching something, most likely a bellow. Also check how the bell is mounted to the back door. If it is loose at all the bell will clunk. A crack in the back door would also give the clunking sound.

5. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    If all else fails you may have to cut yourself an access hatch in the back of the clock so you can watch the bell. Many a cuckoo clock has such a feature, which gives you at least a fighting chance to get the hammer, the wire bell, and everything else that vies for space back there to cooperate. I suspect that something's touching the bell that shouldn't be.

M Kinsler

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    A good strike involves striking the bell and retracting. Observe the hammer to see if it is just staying on the bell too long after the strike. From the sound of it though, I suspect that the hammer is just too close to the bell.

7. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Had the same problem on one of mine. As stated, you can't see what's going on when the back is on the clock. What I finally determined after much trial and error adjustment, is that the hammer at rest (end of strike) is quite a ways away from the gong. So, when adjusting you have to make your adjustments away or toward that resting place, which is no where near the gong.

8. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    it just occurred to me that the hammer might be lifting at the end of the strike. Make sure the train stops quickly after the last strike. Then with the hammer in the fully down position you'll be able to see how much to adjust it to make things right.

9. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    That's what I was alluding to. What I found on mine was that the hammer was in the up position after strike. If you know this to be true you can then adjust the hammer toward or away from the gong as necessary through trial and error until you get the sound you're trying to achieve. To me that was easier than trying to get the train to stop quickly.

10. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Easier, yes - but it puts an extra load on the train and could eventually stop it. Could be adjusted at the gathering pallet probably.