Cuckoo and Quail with wood plates.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by simbarn, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. simbarn

simbarn Registered User

Apr 29, 2010
    I posted this in the wood movement section, however it may be seen here by more.
    I bought this Cuckoo and Quail with a wood plate movement at an auction in Germany recently and would be very grateful to the cuckoo experts on the forum for a possible date (I know dating cuckoo's is not easy!) and maker? No marks anywhere that I can see.
    It looked to be a nice one in the auction photos and when it arrived I was even more happy with it. Everything was there which is always very nice to have. One of the gong hammers is a replacement, but that's it I think.
    Very nice quality wood carving on the case.
    It looks to me to be somewhere around late 19th, early 20th century.
    I don't have a copy of the Beha catalogue so cannot see if the case is one of his designs.
    I will take the movement out later for a closer look.
    Thanks guys.

IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1910.jpg IMG_1912.jpg IMG_1913.jpg IMG_1914.jpg IMG_1916.jpg IMG_1917.jpg IMG_1919.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice, and surprisingly simple in design. I'm sure it's pre-WW1, but could only guess on an actual era.

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think around the turn of the century would be a good guess.

Uhralt

4. The Treasured Clock

The Treasured Clock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Male
    Retired
    Franklin, Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Probably the latter part of the 19th century maybe a little earlier.
    Jonathan Lee Jones

5. Dittrich

Dittrich Registered User

May 28, 2010
    Ruhrgebiet /Germany
    Guten Tag !

Please, take a glance in the book "Beha Uhren" by
    Dr. Wilhelm Schneider. There you will find on page 365 a
    "Holzplatinenwerk einer Kuckuck- mit Viertelwachteluhr mit
    Wippenlösung 1880 " depicted. That is nearly identical with yours.

Best regards
    dittrich

6. simbarn

simbarn Registered User

Apr 29, 2010
    Danke schon Dittrich!
    Unfortunately I don't have a copy of this book, I don't think its available anymore?
    If you do have a copy, could you please take a photo of the illustration you found in the book and post it here?
    Cheers!

7. simbarn

simbarn Registered User

Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks for the other replies guys!

8. Dittrich

Dittrich Registered User

May 28, 2010
    Ruhrgebiet /Germany
    #8 Dittrich, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Guten Tag,

Pity , according the rules of the German copyright it is not allowed taking pictures from inside a book without a acceptance of the editor or author. Therefore it will be useful you ask Dr. Schneider for help or you order the book "Beha Uhren" from him directly. Some members of this forum are in well contact with Dr. Schneider .For sure they will helping you.

Best regards
    dittrich

PS.: In my last post I have forgotten to mention that your "Kuckuck- mit Viertelwachteluhr " was manufactured by GHS about 1880.

9. simbarn

simbarn Registered User

Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks again Dittrich. You are quite right, I should have realised this. However, I know more now thanks to your looking in the book!

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not familiar with the German copyright rules, but since we are an educational entity, we are allowed to photograph a page and post it here as long as the book and author get full credit in the post.

11. simbarn

simbarn Registered User

Apr 29, 2010
    I found something interesting when looking at pictures I have found of BF clocks made by Gordian Hettich Sohn (GHS). All the photographs that I saw of the back of his clocks have a particular style of hook that secure the back door at the top of the clock. These hooks swing down and up to release the door. Mine has these identical hooks. So perhaps another indication that the maker may have been GHS.

InkedIMG_1958_LI.jpg