Cuckoo amplitude.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by POWERSTROKE, Apr 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. POWERSTROKE

POWERSTROKE Registered User

Jan 11, 2011
    This is a subject that I usually use to see the “health” of the way the clocks is running after it’s repaired or even before so. I have found that most cuckoos have about 3” total swing. Some even more. I have also seen some with less. I like to see 3”, but I have some pretty foood running clocks that have 2 1/4 or 2.5”. Both happen to be older Hubert herrs maybe from the 70s. They run and keep excellent time. They do have decent overswing though. How does this amplitude really come into the health of one of these? Are they all the same? Exceptions to the rule? Just wondering. I’ve also seen people on YouTube repair these clocks and seem to have had similar things happen with less than 3” of total swing. I can usually tell this visually even on you tube by how far past the edges of the outer chains the bottom of the pendulum stick goes.

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The amplitude is secondary and varies with pendulum length and how heavy the weights are, and other factors. The important thing is overswing. If you have a healthy overswing with visible recoil, all is fine.

Uhralt

POWERSTROKE likes this.
  3. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
  4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes. Over swing is the way to determine the health of almost any mechanical clock, including the balance wheel and torsion variety clocks.

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Also, the sound. The ticking should be a clean metalic sound that never wavers. Any variation in the sound indicates a flaw somewhere. I call this a 'soft tick' or soft ticking. When you hear this, beware. The clock may run OK for now but it's gonna come back to see you pretty soon!

Note, soft ticking is especially common in cuckoo clocks.

Willie X

6. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    Interesting. Not sure how to comprehend “soft ticking”. How would you fully describe that? If something is “soft ticking” how long would you expect it to run?

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The soft ticking is caused by a lackluster EW movement. A healthy movement will spin the EW at full speed, slamming it into the pallets. If you don't see that quick response of the wheel being released and hear the accompanying solid snap of it stopping again, you have an issue in the time train somewhere.

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Power,
    Next time you have a cuckoo that stops now and then, put a beat amp on it and you will hear the soft ticks. There are no set rules but clocks that stop don't just stop suddenly, they stumble along with diminished power (soft ticking) and eventually stop. Willie X

9. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    Honestly, if snot yet had one that has stopped on me after repair yet.

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can someone describe over swing to me? Definitely can appreciate soft ticking. A movement that I have been working on was ticking so quietly that I could barely hear it - it stopped over night and had to take apart and redo. Subjectively, I can tell when a cuckoo is a "strong ticker" and when it is a "weak ticker". Weak tickers always worry me. Strong tickers make me happy.

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Overswing is the amount the verge keeps lifting after the tooth has been released. Or, more easily to observe, it is how far the pendulum keeps moving in the same direction immediately after a tick, before it changes direction.

Uhralt

12. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    On a cuckoo, or any recoil escapement, you can guage it by how far the escape wheel moves backwards at each tic. No backwards movement would indicate no overswing. The clock may run but it will be a finicky/undependable clock.
    Willie X