Cuckoo accuracy

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by POWERSTROKE, Oct 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. POWERSTROKE

POWERSTROKE Registered User

Jan 11, 2011
    What is considered a good accuracy for a cuckoo clock? What is the best way to achieve this....

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've had some that were quite accurate (a couple minutes a week). You just have to fiddle with the pendulum leaf a bit.

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Within a minute or two per day is good.
    WIllie X

4. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    I have one at 40 seconds a day fast and one at a minute fast. When do you stop and feel happy.

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You stop when you feel happy. The more clocks you have the more tolerant you get (at least that was the case for me).

Uhralt

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some people are always messing with clocks. They don't realize that many things affect the time keeping, including temperature and humidity. ;)

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    You don't have to stop ...
    WIllie X

8. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A cuckoo clock should, in theory, have the same accuracy as any long-case or regulator clock because it's weight-driven and uses a pendulum for a time base. I'd guess that the major cause of inaccuracy would be that silly pendulum-rod suspension, possibly followed by eccentricities in the gear train.

M Kinsler

the little guy with the zither does his best, too.

9. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    #9 POWERSTROKE, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Do you folks have a general recommendation in regulating a cuckoo? For instance, how long in between should you be adjusting? Is an hour enough or do you need to wait A whole wind cycle?

when you make the adjustment on the pendulum, how far are you moving it for any given loss/gain. The leaves can be tight, so hard to say how far youre moving sometimes As it’s not a very fluid motion moving that leaf. Are you measuring with a ruler to see how far you need to move the leaf because of the above? How much should it generally be moved for any given inaccuracy? Finally I read a post by Howard Bain that said most cuckoos can be regulated to witching 1 minute a week. I’d love to have known how he did this.

10. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd screw a fine threaded rod into the bottom of the pendulum rod, and then screw a smallish lead weight onto that

threaded rod. This would allow the pendulum assembly's center of mass to be moved up or down perhaps 0.2mm at a time.

11. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pendulum rod suspension might appear to be silly however, I call your attention to a Welch Patti style movement that used the very same style for a number of years. And I can say that accuracy in time keeping in my experience has not ever been an issue with that style of movement.
    Just sayin'
    tom

12. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would wait at least a winding cycle, or even a week before making any adjustments (unless time keeping is very far off). If you want to get close to the 1 minute a week, a daily deviation would be just 1/7 of a minute which is impossible to read on the dial. What also speaks against making too may adjustments is that the pendulum rod wears where the leave is pushed up and down. Over time this leads to a thinner part somewhere in the middle of the regulating range and the leaf (or whatever the bob looks like) will tend to migrate to that thin spot, especially when it has been set slightly above that spot.

Uhralt

13. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    thanks! With that being said, what is considered a leave it be type of adjustment. At one point are you happy with accuracy?

14. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For a cuckoo I would be happy with around 5 minutes a week. Remember, that clocks with wooden pendulums will run faster in low humidity conditions and slower in high humidity conditions. When you just think you've got it right, the weather changes....

Uhralt