Crystal size questions

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Howdydave, Sep 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Howdydave

Howdydave Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Male
    Former Software Appl. Eng. / Technical Writer
    Rochester, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just obtained a size 16 Waltham Vanguard circa 1926 with an AWC Co. Toronto case.

The case is a Fortune and I am attempting to determine the crystal size.
    I haven't had any luck finding tables anywhere.

The case serial number is 3911141.
    If I am measuring it accurately, I make the crystal size to be 20 13/16 or 46.9 mm.
    Does that sound right?

Many thanks.

2. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Howdy, Dave.

If you remove the crystal, you can measure the existing crystal, or the opening, with a caliper for a precise measurement.

Even two watch cases that are seemingly exact may have slightly different sizes.

If you measure the bezel, do so across the diameter of the opening in a few different spots. For example, between 3 and 9, then 12 and 6. This ensures that it is a consistent size.

Howdydave likes this.
  3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    What's wrong with the existing crystal(looks good in your photos)
    For me, I replace all plastic crystals immediately with glass. If the existing glass crystal has a few scratches
    I don't make any changes (as it matches the patina of the watch case). If it's
    chipped or cracked(or very scratched) I replace them as well. Plus when I break them myself, I need to replace them
    as well(broke a few hunting case crystals recently);).

I would look up in google Dave's Watch parts
    he has everything you need(including good advice).

Rob

4. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    For a 16s watch with your bezel configuration, I'd expect the crystal size to be about 43 mm or 19 lignes.

If there are slight scratches on the existing crystal (glass), these can be polished out by hand. Indeed I've polished out fairly deep gouges in some of my crystals, albeit beginning with wet/dry sandpaper.

5. Howdydave

Howdydave Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Male
    Former Software Appl. Eng. / Technical Writer
    Rochester, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Howdydave, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Rob,

The crystal is fine, there is just an entry in Pocket Watch Database for the crystal size that I wanted to fill in.

My watch has a glass crystal that is in good shape and I'm not going to screw around with removing it because I tried that with an older watch one time and I broke the crystal due to the fact that the glass had become very brittle.