Help Crystal Regulator case

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by timecollector, Oct 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timecollector

timecollector Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Retired law enforcement
    Beverly Hills, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have two questions. What are the cases for Ansonia Crystal regulator cases made of, brass or pot metal? If pot metal was the case plated or finished with some type of paint?

2. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

No response! I will venture that the glass frames are brass, the top and bottom are brass, but, any fancy stuff at the top or bottom is spelter/pot metal which was originally plated.

Jim

3. breeze

breeze Registered User

May 2, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never thought about it until your question. Sorry, I have no good answer for you, but my first thought was the same an Jim's .

breeze

4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think we need a photo or a model name to be precise. I think Jim is correct.

The straight-forward cases like the Prism are polished Brass but others may have a thin plating of gold over copper. You certainly don't want to polish those. Fancier models like the Viscount have the Prism-like core structure with ornate ornamentation along the sides and fancy Urn Toppers. Their ornaments are made of some type of alloy but I wouldn't think of it as a cheap zinc because they support a fair amount of weight and have metal fasteners screwed directly into them. I don't know what the composition of their alloy is. They also can have a variety of finishes and I think it best to simply clean and wax them.

Then you have Crystal Regulators with Onyx and Porcelain bases and tops. They may have some of just about everything.

Ansonia made a wonderful variety of Crystal Regulators in a wide range of prices.

Regards,

Bruce

5. timecollector

timecollector Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Retired law enforcement
    Beverly Hills, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all for your comments. I am not a computer literate person so pictures are something beyond me. The doors are solid brass while the main body is decorative metal material of some type.

6. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    TC,

This website (with a California URL) appears to be back up and running.

Check out this link: Ansonia Regulators 1905 It requires Flash, which is evidently a big deal these days.

If that doesn't work, you can still search through Ansonia model names but Crystal Regulators are just one type in the bunch.

Antique Ansonia Clocks - Clock Model Names

Good luck,

Bruce

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I noticed an add in the Mart magazine where someone supplies glass and parts for those clocks.