• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Crane Year Clock

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
Does anyone have or know of one of these clocks that actually work? I see these listed in auction catalogs but never a mention if it works or not.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
since this question relates to an early american torsion clock it should recieve more attention in the torsion subforum.
Nope,I don't have one,wish I had!!
Burkhard

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
I guess I have had 4 of them for repair. One had no wear suggesting it had never run since new. After polishing the pivots, completely cleaning the movement and the springs, it ran like a champ. Two of the other 3 ran decently after full overhauls. The 4th one I could NEVER get it to run with its original pendulum, following all the necessary repairs including new mainsprings. It would run with a pendulum off one of the other clocks, so there was something in the balance or rotation of its pendulum that was not right. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out a solution. Its owner took it back finally recognizing it looked nice on the shelf and he would make it someone else problem. Oh, and a few months ago I had a question from the now owner of one of them as to why it was not striking correctly. Since I repaired it 30 years ago warranty may have expired. So, I had a 75% success rate originally, to your question. Here is one of them at auction recently. By the way, the pendulums on these tend to be quite fragile in many cases, so be aware if you handle one of them.

Attachments

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Does anyone have or know of one of these clocks that actually work? I see these listed in auction catalogs but never a mention if it works or not.
I've owned a couple of these and worked on a half-dozen others, from the 30-Day to Year-Going variety. All but two ran with normal service and being sure the pendulums were properly poised. The two that didn't were badly worn as received and some parts missing, required a good bit of reconstruction but eventually got them to run OK.

I've moved this thread to the 400-Day, Atmos, and Other Torsion Clocks Forum for more exposure.

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
thanks for the replies Guys, some great info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nersinho
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-