Craigslist Cuckoo Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by blindraccoon, Feb 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014
    Once in a blue moon, a nice running or not running clock shows up on CL. I felt fortunate to be first in line to see it. Very reasonably priced. This cuckoo clock is running beautifully, but the bellows need to be replaced, it did have a missing cuckoo door, and one wing has a fairly minor distress, and a couple of chipped oak leaves. Good size @ 23" case x 17" wide crest.

Attached Files:

2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    That's a nice looking specimen. Congratulations on the acquisition.

Tom

3. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014
    Thanks Tom, It always feels good when you can be in the right spot at the right time. I was just glancing through CL and the seller had just listed it up for sale. Last time that happened was in 2015.

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    My last attempt for a early cuckoo clock from CL was less successful. I called, said I wanted it and would need to plan when I could come pick it up since it was over an hour away. I called back just a short time later to confirm the time and he told me he sold it. :-(

Glad you had better luck. Do you have any photos of the movement? I'm sure it will only make me more jealous, but I equally admire the art and technology of cuckoo clocks.

Tom

5. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014
    I experienced something a bit similar EXCEPT it was a small carved inlaid mahog. table, for a clock naturally. Seller lived about a mile away and she made the app't for early a.m. the next day. Arrived at her house, pouring rain, husband answered the door and said "oh, she sold that last night". I had a few words for him that I'm sure his wife heard while she hid in the other room.

No, the movement is 'run of the mill' 30 hour without a trademark. But I don't care, the price was so right in my opinion, and I have a thing for oak leaves, lots of 'em :chuckling:.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files: Download all post attachments

6. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Thanks for the additional photos. I admire that movement aesthetically a lot more than a Regula or Huber Herr (Not that I have anything against either).

It looks like you might want to get that bird's condition checked out: http://www.petmd.com/bird/conditions :exhausted:

Tom

7. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    I too like oak leaves over the more traditional maple ones, especially the more recent ones that look thicker than cardboard.

I'm slowly talking myself into making a cuckoo clock case, so I experimented with carving a leaf. I just can't seem to get them to "flow" as well as the ones in your clock (and others), which just look softer. Anyway, here is my test amongst some real leaves for comparison.

20151024_194450.jpg

Tom

8. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014
    Very funny ~ Yeah, poor little guy does look a little sickly in the pic. If he gets any worse, I'll follow up on that link :chuckling:

9. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014
    Are you kidding?! That oak leaf looks amazing! And that's your first one? Get going on that clock case! A couple years back, I bought a cuckoo that had several oak leaves completely missing or broken off in half and a branch or two gone. I hired a local guy to restore the leaves. He did an incredible job, it was pricey but well worth it! Need more people who have
    that talent for carving.[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files: Download all post attachments

10. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    That is an exceptional job on the restoration.

Thanks for the compliment. It was my first leaf, but not my first carving. I have done carving on and off for a while. I think I could make a mean cuckoo bird.

20170301_150729.jpg

Also, thanks for the encouragement. I'm sort of a herd guy instead of a loaner, so having more people push me may entice me to actually do it.

Tom

11. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014
    So this yellow finch-like bird, perched on a barbed wire no less, is your creation? Oh yeah, there's no doubt you could carve out a really cool cuckoo bird. Excellent finish work! This plump yellow bird looks like he's got a bit of an attitude, or I guess all birds have that 'look' - it's those beady little eyes. Now sketch out a design and carve some oak leaves for that cuckoo case...

blindraccoon aka Laurie

12. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User

Oct 5, 2007
    Hi, Tom

I am exceedingly impressed with your carving abilities! It is a rare talent, and you not only created a very lifelike bird, but, as Laurie pointed out, one with a natural, genuinely true-to-life presence. One can often find carved birds, but locating one with the visual appeal of yours is very hard to find. You have quite a talent, young man, so don't hesitate to produce an entire forest of oak leaves! And, perching the bird on a bit of rusty barbed wire was an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Warmest regards and admiration, :clap:

George Nelson

13. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Thank you both for your kind words - I'm blushing :rolleyes:. I looked at the date of the leaf photo and was surprised that I made that two summers ago - time flies! I guess I really have to get going on this if I'm ever going to do it. I should start a post in the clock construction section and hopefully attract enough interest and appreciation that I will be be all the more encouraged not to let the group down.

As a side note, if I were to enter this bird in a juried competition, I could not use real barbed wire like I have. Everything has to be hand carved, not just the bird, but even the setting.

Time to break out the carving tools Yoda

Thanks again!
    Tom

14. George Nelson

Oct 5, 2007
    All compliments are well-deserved! Interesting about the barbed wire. Could you, if necessary, carve out a section of barbed wire? What a wonder that would be...

George

15. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014
    George, Yeah Tom is certainly talented and I love the idea of a little piece of carved barbed wire as a perch... might be pushin' the envelope?, but it sure would be cool if he could pull it off. A bird house amidst oak leaves and carving a 'mean' cuckoo bird is good, too!

16. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    I've seen all kinds of intricate carved settings including, wire, blades of grass, twigs with bark (carved from larger blocks of wood). It is amazing what some people can do.

Tom

17. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    I'm told the wood used on cuckoos are really good
    for carving. I do suppose one still has to watch the grain.
    I saw a video once of someone in the Black Forrest carving
    cuckoo parts.
    They just had some chisels, a mallet and a bench with a V shaped
    block to keep the wood from moving.
    In seconds they had a maple leaf done.
    My attempts at carving were never as good as yours, Tom.
    Tinker Dwight

18. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014
    Not necessarily for you Tom, but along the lines of carving and just for fun, there's the chain saw carving (big saws and little saws) that can also be quite amazing.. a bear head carving in 4 minutes (elapsed time) https://youtu.be/S0uGmFRNOP0

19. George Nelson

Oct 5, 2007
    Yes, indeed... Sigh. If only I had that kind of talent...

George

20. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Thanks Tinker. Yes, the wood selection is important. I use basswood, with a very fine grain, but I don't think that is normally used for cuckoo clocks. Most of my carving is done using a convex blade and dremel. I use a soldering iron with the tip filed to a knife's edge for the fine details like the feathers. The heat burns away a little of the wood to leave an open soft line instead of the slit you get if you just run a knife through. You can see the result here.

image.jpg

I have not tried using chisels but would like to.

Blindraccoon - sorry I seem to have highjacked your thread.

Tom