Craig's List? Not for me.

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Jan 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    There has been much ado on the MB about the wonders of Craig's List.

No doubt there have been some rather wonderful "finds" from Craig's List posted on the MB.

Also lots of stuff I personally would not look twice at. I'm just not in the market for a Ridgeway, at any price, or as some clocks are listed, by the maker "Tempus Fugit".

None the less, I thought I would give it a try. One gem once in a while would make it worthwhile.

After perusing the listings regularly for a couple of months, I have concluded that it's a waste of time.

IMCO, most of the stuff is rubbish. And anything a bit more interesting was no bargain.

I fully realize that in other parts of the country, the results may be quite different. I am also aware that I've restricted my search to a relatively limited geographic area and if I were to expand it, it might yield better results. However, it just doesn't make sense for me to drive far distances when I seem to find goodies close to home. For now, I'm sticking to my typical venues for finding things. As long as that provides a couple of nice things/year, that's fine with me.

Just my opinion.

RM

2. Steve Patton

Steve Patton Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 9, 2005
    Male
    Telecommunications - Retired
    Evansville, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Totally Agree.

3. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Every now and then, you find a deal. But I agree, the majority of it is junk someone's trying to unload.

4. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree, I have Craigslist set to alert me on specific terms when I am searching for something. It sends me an email with new listings every so often. Most of the time it's junk but takes a minute to glance at so no harm done. Facebook can be a good area to search also but the filters are not as good. The other apps letgo, offer up not so good. Auctions, estate sales, and internet auctions are still the best.

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We have Kijiji in Canada. I have found some deals on it.

6. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Chris Radano, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    I found this lawn roller on Craigslist (which I have used for a few projects here):
    What Else Do You Collect?
    Basically, the lawn roller Craigslist listing was an add for an antique store in Ephrata, PA. And, it was a tool I needed so Craigslist came in handy. And the price was fair. I got an antique that is attractive that I enjoy, not too large so I can store it in the garage. I didn't need a large plastic lawn roller for the back of a lawn tractor. So, what I paid, and what I've used it for, a good deal for me from Craigslist.

I have sold a home made pine hutch on Craigslist for $50. The younger man who bought it expressed happiness that he found it, when he came over to pick it up.

I bought a nice, modern oak bookcase from Craigslist.

As of yet, I haven't found any matches for clocks on Craigslist. Not much of a selection that interests me, so I almost never look through Craigslist for clocks because I haven't found value for me personally.

7. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    This Chelsea set was listed on the local Craigs list. It was described as “freshly serviced and running great”.

I have gotten some great deals on tooling from Craigs list.

D~

craigs list 11 18 18.jpg

8. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Was the can of WD40 the seller's idea of "freshly serviced"?

RM

9. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    RM,

I am not sure but that was my assumption. I am not really looking at adding any new clocks to my small collection so the $1600 asking price made it easy to let that one pass.

I have been lucky with machine tools on the local Craigs list. Rhode Island industry has always been the 50th state when it comes to technological advances so there is a lot of older “American steel” available. In the last year I have gotten a Geka microcrop, Gorton 3U pantograph, Trinco media blaster, two rotary positioners, a really nice Baldor 7306D bench grinder, and a WF-1 cold wire feeder.

Regards,

D~

10. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Itinerate clock purveyor and amateur restorer
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have not found any clocks to buy off Craigslist. But, I have bought one car off the list and sold 2 there. While I only check it sporadically, in the last 5+ years I have never seen a clock listed in the local area that I even thought worth seeing, not one....

11. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    First, let me say that when I started this thread, I was thinking pretty much entirely of the relatively few and paltry clocks I found. I have no doubt there are other categories of things which one might successfully purchase through Craig's List.

I wish I could get that kind of money for a late Chelsea small time piece/aneroid barometer desk set where the lacquer was breaking down causing spotty tarnish to the case and stand. And Chelsea's are very popular up here in coastal N.E. I have sold a couple of nice ones like that one that were earlier...for a mere fraction of that price and it took some work.

This sort of makes one of my original points. If I may quote myself:

Yes, seems like quite the site for cars. In fact, one of my favorite websites Barn Finds often features rather interesting cars (it is true, many are not true "barn finds") from Craig's List.

I stand by my original statements. Even as late of the last few days nothing I've seen on the MB changes that. I would have used the $25 to buy groceries.

RM

12. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    "I stand by my original statements. Even as late of the last few days nothing I've seen on the MB changes that. I would have used the $25 to buy groceries."

RM,
    Thank you, I had a miserable morning and I laughed through my lunch when I read that.
    Regards,
    D~

13. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Glad it helped!

Laughter is the best medicine...& it don’t cost nothing!

RM

14. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought you encourage threads to take circuitous routes.

15. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I certainly don't rule that out with this thread.

Okay. Here's something superfluous.

I have a collection of "fungus" art.

A type of fungus, called bracket fungus, grows on the trunks of trees. When dried, it my be decorated with paint, pyrography (I had something on this topic on the MB), etc.

It was a form of folk art practiced for many years up until today.

Of course, given how bizarre it is, I have to have a collection of this stuff. I have objects from the mid-19th century up until about the 1920's or thirties.

Here's my most elaborate piece, a hunting scene. It's about 1 1//2 feet wide:

fungus 6.JPG

Here are a few others. Probably the oldest one is the "Romantic Ruin", mid-19th century:

fungus 1.JPG

RM

Chris Radano likes this.
  16. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    RM,

That is an extremely elaborate turned vase on what looks to be a beautiful corbel next to the hunting scene with what I think are English setters.

I love to turn wood and appreciate the effort that went into it.

Please Sir, I want some more.

D~

17. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind words and interest.

The vase was created by laminating a number of different woods then turning it to create the vase. I would provide additional pix but it's in a display case @ a group shop in NH right now.

It sits upon a carved shelf with a similar anchor motif:

shelf 1.JPG

Except for the flat top portion, it's carved from a single chunk of mahogany. It's quite heavy. It is signed on the back:

shelf 2.JPG

Note it's an anchor at the bottom of the sea, encrusted in corals and seaweed. Can't help thinking it's a memorial to those lost at sea? The anchor is also a Christian symbol of hope:

"And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works."

I think it's a great piece of carving with a wonderful surface.

I guess I like old shelves, especially carved ones. I've posted some before on the MB. Also can be seen with some of my clock postings. Here are a couple of examples. I may have even posted them before. Lots more.

shelf 5.JPG shelf 3.JPG shelf 4.JPG hadlock shelf 3.JPG

Nothing complements an old clock better than an old shelf, IMCO.

RM

Old Rivers likes this.
  18. the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
    RM,

I imagine that it took a lot longer to lay out the pattern, cut the pieces, and glue it all up than it did to actually turn the piece. Do you remember if the anchors go all the way through or if they are inlays?

That’s a nice group of shelves, or would you call them corbels? The anchor shelf is very well executed with the chain nicely proportional in high relief. That’s not easy to do.

Thanks for posting them.

D~

19. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind comments.

They’re shelves rather than architectural elements. That said, I do have corbels I own & have also sold as purely decorative elements or to be used as rather nifty shelves.

My recollection is that is the anchors are inlaid. I have a number of similar objects. A real skill to put them together in a way to achieve the final product?

RM

20. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have better luck on Craigslist than I do hunting up antique shops and malls. Sure, you have to sort through a bunch of crap, but some great stuff has popped up out here. You have to be quick if it's a good piece. It's either sold fast, or the price gets raised for various reasons. A George Marsh hollow column was my rarest find to date. Most the clocks I've purchased are for resale, though I have picked up a few nice keepers. I do get a chuckle out of what someone considers and antique. I guess from the perspective of a 30 year old, anything made before they were born is an antique.

21. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Sounds like you've done well on CL.

I wish I could say the same for myself.

No doubt there are variables, e.g., geographic location (New England with its proximity to clock making centers vs. the Pacific N.W.), how widely one searches, etc., that can effect one's perceptions and experiences.

I too search for material for resale. Unless it's something really wonderful, it's a really tough market out here. Even then, most of the NAWCC members out here don't know what they're looking at and/or are at a stage of life when they aren't adding to collections, they're seeking to liquidate. My best success has been with a general retail buyer who can be offered a really clean and well running 8 day clock at a decent price. Certainly ain't finding that on CL.

I wish you continued success in your searches.

RM

22. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There has been nothing down here in my neck of the woods on Craig's List, I wasted about 20 minutes gong through all of the listings but I really don't need dishes, shelves, flatware or pressboard furniture. Not a single watch or clock has surfaced lately, I think people take watches to pawn shops around here and trash the clocks. Went to a couple of "estate sales" in the retirement complex I live in, I got a miniature grandfather clock, about 12 inches tall, for 12 bucks last year with key and it runs.

23. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There's a search engine that you can use to filter out all the other stuff. It's not like good items show up daily. You have to check often or just get lucky. Most the people selling are trying to get retail or have no idea of the current market.