Count Wheel Question

Bean

Aug 5, 2006
Maple Falls, WA
Region
I’m stuck. I’m working on a Waterbury Clock, and I just can’t figure out what’s going wrong. This clock has a toothed count wheel. When I got it, it wouldn’t strike, well, now it does, but only once per hour.

Background:
The Drop Lever is riding just fine on the cam – when the drop lever is on the edge, the count lever clears the teeth. The unlocking lever is interfacing nicely with the count lever - locking assembly.

Problem:
It only strikes once, then the count lever drops into the next tooth on the count wheel and the strike stops. It is striking once for each 180-degree rotation of the cam.

What is happening: I’ve set it up on “start” with the count lever in a deep indent, the drop lever in one of the cam’s 2 notches, and the warn pin in the correct position.

When the cam reaches the notch 180 degrees opposite of the first notch, the drop lever drops into that notch, the count lever drops into a tooth on the countwheel (which is always one tooth on), and the strike ends.

Any clues to what I’m missing here? What should/would keep the drop lever above the 2nd notch on the cam to allow the clock to run through its full strike?

I've put in 3 photos if that helps....but the only one I have here with the gears doesn't show the levers...

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hi Bean-

Your count lever is on the same arbor as the stop lever and you either need to raise the stop lever relative to the count lever or lower the count lever relative to the stop lever. The stop pin should just clear the stop lever when the count lever lands on a high step.

See Here for an in depth article on adjusting these levers.

Good luck with it!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
David's referenced document should fix you up. Your stop pin is engaging the stop lever even when the count hook is not lowered into a deep groove. The count hook should prevent the locking cam lever from falling into the cam slot until the hook is in a deep groove. My guess is that you'll need to increase the distance between those two levers.

Bean

Aug 5, 2006
Maple Falls, WA
Region
Thanks guys - I'll head up to the clock room and see what I can achieve. And thank you for the PDF, it's a great help.

Bean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinestone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller