Count wheel doesn't count the correct hour

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
The counting stops appropriately when the counting arm drops into the slot on the count wheel, but the count is correct sometimes, but wrong sometimes. What do I need to adjust? Count wheel.jpg

Count wheel.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The count finger has been bent foward. It should be held up above the wheel and bent back in line with the count wheel's axis. Don't bend the thin part.

When you have this correct, all may be better. If not, you will have to remesh the next wheel up to make the finger drop in the exact center of the deep slots.

Willie X

Reactions: SuffolkM and NEW65

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Your count hook (finger) needs to drop straight and parallel into the slot of the count wheel. Yours is at an angle and is likely catching the edge of the slot. Yes, do not bend the thin part.

Reactions: NEW65

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Still counting too many times for each hour. I tried to straighten the count hook. Here are more pictures to see if anyone can see another issue. one.jpg one.jpg one.jpg three.jpg two.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That count finger is a little better but still not right.

This is a two step adjustment. First, forget about the teeth/slots in the count wheel and make the finger radial to the center of the count wheel.

Then remesh the upper wheel gearing (usually the maintenance wheel) to place the finger in the center of a deep slot, or very close to it. Very fine adjustments can then be made (at the finger) to center the thin part of the finger in a deep slot.

Also, that stop lever at the top, the one that actually stops the warning wheel, looks a little shallow. It also seems to be pushed back a bit and also rounded over at the tip. Hard to tell for sure from the photo but this can cause your problem.

Rules to live by: First get the maintence wheel and count wheel finger working right. Then take a close look at the stop lever and make sure it is stopping correctly. That is: dropping at the right point, has a nice sharp edge on the tip, and just a bit of draw.

Willie x

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I agree with everything Willie said. I would emphasize the part about forgetting the slots and teeth and just align the count hook with the center arbor (axle if you prefer). Then shoot another pic for us.

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
The count is correct now, but I have a new problem. The clock ran for about 4-5 hours and then stopped. Now it just runs for a minute or two and stops.

This is a movement that I disassembled, cleaned parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, cleaned and oiled the mainsprings and reassembled. This is my second movement to work on. Fledgling hobbiest here.

What should I do next? Help is much appreciated.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Make sure that the hands are not rubbing and that the clock is in beat. Look for bushing wear at the pivot areas, especially in the upper end of the train. Do this by letting the power down all the way from both springs. Rock each wheel back and forth while observing the next wheels bearing area. Look for the pivot to jump as you do this. Look for wear too on the pallets.
A youtube video of the escapement area with the clock running is helpful. Post the link here.

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
The count is correct now, but I have a new problem. The clock ran for about 4-5 hours and then stopped. Now it just runs for a minute or two and stops.

This is a movement that I disassembled, cleaned parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, cleaned and oiled the mainsprings and reassembled. This is my second movement to work on. Fledgling hobbiest here.

What should I do next? Help is much appreciated.
If you had to loosen the nuts and separate the plates a little to re-index the count wheel, it could be just about anything- including a bent pivot. Check for end shake on all of your time train arbors.

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Yes, there is bushing wear in the #4 bushing on the train side. That would be the wheel next to the escape wheel. Compared to all of the other bushings, it is quite loose. Maybe 1.5mm. Do you think this be the problem?

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
Rules to live by: First get the maintence wheel and count wheel finger working right.

Willie x
Hi Mr.X I'm not familiar with the term maintenance wheel. Would that be the one with the locking cam that usually drives the warning/locking pinwheel?

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
Yes, there is bushing wear in the #4 bushing on the train side. That would be the wheel next to the escape wheel. Compared to all of the other bushings, it is quite loose. Maybe 1.5mm. Do you think this be the problem?
That may very well be a problem, but that wouldn't be a new problem since getting the count lever sorted.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
That high up the train could rob enough power. I would double check the escape wheel and pallet pivots as it doesn't take much to stop the train here.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Just post a photo of the suspected area. Wear near the top is common and always needs to be addressed (new bushing/s).

Willie X

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
I don't have the right equipment to replace a bushing yet and am a little fearful of ruining a plate by using hand tools. What I did do is put a fresh dab of oil on each of the pivots and a bit on the escapement pallets. That has it going. It has been running for about 18 hours now. This is a clock that I bought on eBay just to tinker with and learn a little about clocks and how they work. I have a couple more projects to move on to now. I will probably come back to this one at a later date and try my first bushing replacement once I get the tools.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mzhang19
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre