Count wheel cuckoo movement - ID and vintage?

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I'm just finishing up an overhaul on this movement and have no information about it as to who made it or when. It's got a couple of peculiarities - the square for the hand bushing is 4mm on a side and has an uncommon thread for the hand nut, measuring 2.7mm in diameter. Also, the hanger for the pendulum is very narrow, suggesting a unique pendulum. I got it in a completely derelict case which I've restored, but it has no maker's marks or identification at all. I want to buy hands, bushings, nuts, weights and a pendulum for it but I have no idea what to ask for. Can anyone share any helpful information about it? Thanks - it's a nice little movement which cleaned up nicely and the case came out beautifully, so I'm looking forward to completing it.

Count Wheel movement_1.JPG Count Wheel movement_2.JPG

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Does anyone have photos of the hand mounting hardware and a pendulum hook so I know what I need to look for or fabricate? Thanks!

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
A couple of photos of what you need, the pendulum on the right is from a similar clock and you can see the hook is slightly narrower and has threaded adjustment. The weighs are 400 gram for a 1 day of that era. The hands are as shown, the hour hand is friction fit, then put the minute hand on, you will need to file it square if using a modern hand, then the large hole nut holds the minute hand and the small hole nut to stop the both cannons from coming off, however the small hole nut is not tight and needs a gap so the cannons can rotate.
CIMG0887.jpg CIMG0849.jpg

Reactions: Schatznut

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Jimmy, thank you for this information - it's exactly what I need. The photo of the front answers one puzzlement I had - the tension washer is missing on my movement and someone had replaced it with what looked like a wad of old pipe cleaner felt. I can fabricate something out of junk box parts. The stackup of bushings and hardware for the hands looks solvable - with the minute hand riding directly on the 4mm square. The hand nut is really only a retainer, not a tensioner, as the friction clutch is on the drive gear instead. Re the pendulum, that's a special unit. I may have to build one out of various bits and pieces. I like the idea of a regulating nut on a cuckoo pendulum. Very cool - thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmvalente
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre