Count lever and locking lever.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by crossie, Sep 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crossie

crossie Registered User

Nov 3, 2012
    Hi All,

I have purchased a cuckoo clock from Ebay that was advertised as a 'vintage Russian cuckoo clock for collectors'. It was working, but was very dirty inside. I decided to rebush, polish pivots and clean the movement. When I put it back together I found that I had a problem. It has a count wheel strike, which I am not familiar with, and is the first time that I have come across one. The count lever goes down into the notch of the count wheel and the lever catches on the detent at the same time. Then the count lever rises up and carries on chiming continuously. Also the weight on the chime side drops to the floor instead of locking.

I have had it apart many times but to no avail, and it is now driving me nuts. Any help would be very appreciated.

Many thanks Crossie

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd suggest taking that count wheel off, and see if the locking lever and pin will stop the clock that way. If so, put the wheel back on so the deep notches match where the lock occurs.

3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is hard to tell from the photos whether this uses the same levers as a traditional American count wheel clock, but you might want to review the design and operating sequence found at: https://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Count_Wheel_Basics

I would check to see if it has a stop/warning pin, as I suspect that is not synchronized properly with the other levers and the locking lever doesn't catch this pin. Hopefully it is a simple adjustment of the wheels to get things sync'ed up properly.

If you still have problems, better photos of the movement would help.

Tom

4. crossie

crossie Registered User

Nov 3, 2012
    Hi shutterbug, thanks for your suggestion,I tried that but alas it did not help, I will try glebers way,it has a stop warning pin but I need to have more information on how to synchronise the wheels. crossie

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like you'll be splitting the plates again. It's all part of the learning curve :)

6. crossie

crossie Registered User

Nov 3, 2012
    Hi gleber,sorry I took so long to reply to your comments to my post,you were right it was not synchronised properly, it took a few goes to get there but I got there in the end, thanks,crossie

7. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm glad to hear you got it working.

Tom