• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Couldn't pass it up for 10 bucks! But what is it?

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
Hi, all.
Stopped at an antique store yesterday and when I asked the price of this clock, the proprietor said $10. :eek: Well, I couldn't say no to that! And even better: it works! (Needs a washer fitted against the hands to make them fit tighter/more level, and it needs a replacement glass, but even considering that, I couldn't ask for a better deal!)

But I'm wondering what the make is? It reminds me of a Sessions clock I own. The dial paper has been replaced and thus doesn't show the name of the clock company. The movement has no markings, either. I'm hoping the remnants of the label on the back will provide a clue although there's not much of it left. But are the visible parts familiar to anyone? Or does anyone recognize it by the case and/or movement?

The clock is about 28 inches long and about 18 inches wide across the octagon. The pencil marking inside the upper corner of the case and the red-bordered label say the same thing: "C. Mar. 26 - 38, Ralph A. Barbour, 388 [Cong.?] St." I'm assuming the "C." stands for the clock having been "Cleaned" on March 26th, 1938 and since I bought the clock a few miles west of Portland, Maine, I'm assuming the address may represent "Congress Street," a predominant street in Portland (that is, if the clock has indeed been in the area since then).

The other note is a bit out of focus but states, "Do not remove this tag. [Park St.?] Sept 22, 1980" and "Remove pendulum when moving clock." (There is also a Park Street in Portland).

Thanks in advance for any clues as to the make of the clock.
Sincerely,
John

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Here's one with similar markings, which might help some. This one is a New Haven Trojan from around 1900. Since it has the same window, could be the same company and era. Also note the winding hole is in the same area.

Attachments

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
Hi John, I think it might be a W.L. Gilbert, model name "Admiral" c. 1910. Look at this one. There were different types, calendar time only, calendar T&S and time only. This one has the same case, hands and door glass. The pendulum seems different, but the others have a pendulum like yours. Also the label shown on another one had the same border design as your label.

I am surprised you found anything in an antique shop for $10.00 much less a clock. Did you run out of the shop before he changed his mind? A nice clock for a great bargain price.

What do you think?

Missy

Last edited:

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Ten bux!??
Altho at an earlier time I grabbed every one I could, my tastes have changed but ten bux? I'd buy ten of 'em for that, just for the fun of restoring them.
Nice find bro! Thanks for sharing. Good too, ta read from ya, MISSY!

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
Thanks, everyone, for the replies!

Yeah, when she told me the price, I couldn't believe it. I thought to myself, I'd happily buy ANY clock this old for ten bucks! And they just had it laying on a table out on the sidewalk in front of the store, only partially covered by the roof overhang, and it was starting to rain. Sheesh.

Hi John, I think it might be a W.L. Gilbert, model name "Admiral" c. 1910. Look at this one.
Missy, looks like a match to me! Thanks very much!

Sincerely,
John

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
...I thought to myself, I'd happily buy ANY clock this old for ten bucks! And they just had it laying on a table out on the sidewalk in front of the store, only partially covered by the roof overhang, and it was starting to rain. Sheesh.
A thousand pennies? Wow! What a score! Nice save. An extremely nice collection btw. Thanks for sharing.

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Every now and then you get a break..........................very nice clock !! ;)
Bruce

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Very nice for ten dollars you cant go wrong with that. I have two Gilbert school house clocks, both have the standard time marking on the door.
You have a good eye Missy.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
One has to wonder what is under what looks to be a replacement
dial.
I had one Japanese one that the replacement paper dial was shot so
I removed it. It had a painted Seikosha dial that cleaned up nicely.
Yours doesn't look to be Japanese by the movement but you never know.
Most all the Japanese ones I've seen are striking types.
Tinker Dwight

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
One has to wonder what is under what looks to be a replacement
dial.
I had one Japanese one that the replacement paper dial was shot so
I removed it. It had a painted Seikosha dial that cleaned up nicely.
Yours doesn't look to be Japanese by the movement but you never know.
Most all the Japanese ones I've seen are striking types.
Tinker Dwight
Nope that movement is indeed a Gilbert. And how 'bout them labels?

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
Am I the only one here that thinks this clock is much later than most think. I've seen similar cases before. LaRose or Merritt's sold them as kits. A clock shop closed 5 or 6 years ago and a bunch of empty cases showed up at auction and regional shows. Guys were buting them to "antique" them up. Would like to see a picture of the movement.

clocks4u

NAWCC Member
Sep 2, 2000
Oregon
Country
Region
ooops. I was referring to shuterbugs pictured clock not the OPs clock. It appears to be a Gilbert Admiral as someone suggested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Great Leslie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-