• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Could this triple decker have had feet on it originally?

Lidenhour

Jan 26, 2021
Country
This is a C & L Ives mahogany weight clock triple-decker all original everything with it and in quite good shape. I just bought it and have not got it in the mail yet. I am asking so as to order the feet now so they come around the same time. I was told this clock is from 1830-1833. It is 35 inches tall. Now again I am sure when it comes I can tell if there are holes for where feet were original. And I may have to wait to see. but I wonder if there is an expert on these clocks that may know for sure so I can order them now. Researching them I see claw feet in front and smallish bun looking in the rear and or bun looking feet on all four corners. Is there someone out there that can give me advice do you think they all had feet? To me, it does look like it needs them. I have many weight clocks but this is my first triple-decker so know nothing about the cases.
Thanks for your time.

cl 03.PNG cl 04.PNG cl 07.PNG cl 08.PNG

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
This is a C & L Ives mahogany weight clock triple-decker all original everything with it and in quite good shape. I just bought it and have not got it in the mail yet. I am asking so as to order the feet now so they come around the same time. I was told this clock is from 1830-1833. It is 35 inches tall. Now again I am sure when it comes I can tell if there are holes for where feet were original. And I may have to wait to see. but I wonder if there is an expert on these clocks that may know for sure so I can order them now. Researching them I see claw feet in front and smallish bun looking in the rear and or bun looking feet on all four corners. Is there someone out there that can give me advice do you think they all had feet? To me, it does look like it needs them. I have many weight clocks but this is my first triple-decker so know nothing about the cases.
Thanks for your time.

View attachment 634534 View attachment 634535 View attachment 634536 View attachment 634537
I think most likely it did. I would have requested a picture of the bottom from the eBay seller. I suspect they were originally ball feet. But at this point this is all speculation.

To me the bigger issue, & this is based on a few pix so take it with qualification, is that I believe the original decorative treatment of the columns has been removed to their base wood.

The splat, also now in plain wood, is a bit different for a C & LC Ives. In my experience, they were typically carved. HOWEVER, I have also seen these clocks with an original splat with their names stenciled onto it. Some of the later triple deckers by others had gilt gesso splats. When that falls off, you are also have plain wood left.

You will know better when it arrives.

RM

Reactions: Lidenhour

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
In my experience, the round foot is more common in the C & LC Ives clocks than are the carved paw feet. But, both do happen. As RM suggests your more simple splat suggests a less fancy version of the case, which to me suggests the round foot approach if it originally had feet.

140372134_3759050147485008_2302780299046693626_o.jpg 20180825_190048.jpg 20171006_190442.jpg P1070015.jpg john birge.jpg IMG_2664.JPG

Reactions: Lidenhour

Lidenhour

Jan 26, 2021
Country
I think most likely it did. I would have requested a picture of the bottom from the eBay seller. I suspect they were originally ball feet. But at this point this is all speculation.

To me the bigger issue, & this is based on a few pix so take it with qualification, is that I believe the original decorative treatment of the columns has been removed to their base wood.

The splat, also now in plain wood, is a bit different for a C & LC Ives. In my experience, they were typically carved. HOWEVER, I have also seen these clocks with an original splat with their names stenciled onto it. Some of the later triple deckers by others had gilt gesso splats. When that falls off, you are also have plain wood left.

RM

RM
I am a pretty good artist and plan on restoring the columns I do have gold leaf and also have an old victorian home and have learned graining work over the years and can grain really well with gel stain and have restored a couple of my old weight clock columns and did not think about this one having those until you suggested it so I looked them up and sure enough saw all sorts. I may restore the columns to look like most typical Ives triple-deckers I did buy the round feet. I feel it needs them anyway. And I have ordered a new splat. I will golf leaf it once I start restoring the clock. The movement is in excellent shape The man who sold it is handicapped and had already packed or had the clock packed to ship so when I asked about the feet he could not show me. And I only paid with shipping all together 214 bucks for this clock so took the risk here is a photo of the movement. It has the original weights and key, and pendulum with it. The only splat I could find online was the eagle one. I saw 2 or 3 types in researching them and by the looks of the splat on the clock it don't seem to have had the eagle but if this is all I can find this will have to do. And these columns when I restore them I will post photos. I do however have some great photos of some of the other column clocks mostly Seth Thomas I have restored I am happy to share.
Thank you both so much for the advice it has really helped.

cl 09.PNG cl 010.PNG eagle splat.PNG

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I am a pretty good artist and plan on restoring the columns I do have gold leaf and also have an old victorian home and have learned graining work over the years and can grain really well with gel stain and have restored a couple of my old weight clock columns and did not think about this one having those until you suggested it so I looked them up and sure enough saw all sorts. I may restore the columns to look like most typical Ives triple-deckers I did buy the round feet. I feel it needs them anyway. And I have ordered a new splat. I will golf leaf it once I start restoring the clock. The movement is in excellent shape The man who sold it is handicapped and had already packed or had the clock packed to ship so when I asked about the feet he could not show me. And I only paid with shipping all together 214 bucks for this clock so took the risk here is a photo of the movement. It has the original weights and key, and pendulum with it. The only splat I could find online was the eagle one. I saw 2 or 3 types in researching them and by the looks of the splat on the clock it don't seem to have had the eagle but if this is all I can find this will have to do. And these columns when I restore them I will post photos. I do however have some great photos of some of the other column clocks mostly Seth Thomas I have restored I am happy to share.
Thank you both so much for the advice it has really helped.

View attachment 634690 View attachment 634691 View attachment 634692
Excellent!

Sounds like this clock found a new owner who can accomplish sympathetic restoration.

I would love to see the other examples of your work & this one when you’re done.

RM

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.