Cosmos Electric

harold

Mar 12, 2001
I have a Battery operated leather-covered small desk clock. The battery is the old European square with two metal tabs/strips. Is there any information on this clock? Cosmos Clock.jpg Cosmos Clock2.jpg

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, Harold!

I have a couple of these. I may even have one, like yours, originally given away by the British American Oil Co. I do believe most of these were gifts.

As you probably know, the concept is pretty simple: the two-ended weight rocker is flipped by an electromagnet to "wind" the clock, and when it rocks back to its rest position, this trips a switch that resets the rocker again. Very similar in many ways to the larger Empire, American Self Winding, etc. clocks.

The battery I have from one of them is 4.5v, and can be easily replaced by a battery holder with 3 AA's in it in series.

Is yours working?

Best regards!

Tim Orr

harold

Mar 12, 2001
The escapement is working fine when spring is wound by hand, but the electric function does not wind the clock. I will try to set up another battery arrangement. Thank you.

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
Hi Harold

There is a very good article written by David Read. it is entitled "The Electronic Remontoire" published by AHS in 2011. Your movement is very similar to the Reform movement - although the Reform is higher quality.

The 4.5 volts flat batteries are still readily available, so there shouldn't be the need to convert to a battery box. A very common issue with these clocks is that the contacts made when the spring winds down are dirty. You should also check that the coil has a finite resistance. From memory it should be around 5-10 Ohms.

Let me know if you have a problem with the coil. I'm pretty sure I have a spare that you can have.

Regards,

Peter

harold

Mar 12, 2001
Thank you for your kind offer. I am useless when it comes to electronic stuff. Thank you again.

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
No problem. I have sent you a private message. if you respond to that, i am pretty sure we can get it sorted. If the escapement is working, then the electrical side is pretty simple.

Regards, Peter

harold

Mar 12, 2001
I have replied with the picture but for some reason, the email address you sent will not work. Please check the address.

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
The email address is correct. There is no "full stop" at the end......this just denotes the end of the sentence.

If you respond to my "conversation" and include your email address, then I can send you a test message.

Regards,

Peter