Correction: International Time Recorder mainsprings - Is Ollie Baker up to the task?

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
I'm working on an International Time Recorder movement for the first time ever. Those mainsprings are . . . formidable. Is my Ollie Baker spring winder going to be able to handle those monster springs?? They're making me nervous.

Last edited:

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
Are we talking about the chime mainspring on a Sonora? Yes, the Ollie can handle it. And, yes, it is scary nonetheless.

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
Are we talking about the chime mainspring on a Sonora? Yes, the Ollie can handle it. And, yes, it is scary nonetheless.
Nope. This is the movement from an International Time Recording time stamp clock. I've found that I don't have a chuck large enough to use on my Ollie Baker to deal with these springs. So I'm working on Plan B. More pictures to come. IMG_0509.JPG IMG_6203.JPG

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I thought that the #10 was the double barrel time only movement for a ships clock. Guess not!
It is the double barrel time only movement. The #10 has been used for ships clocks but also for many other applications like time recorders and scientific instruments.

Uhralt

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
The Ollie will handle these if you make an adaptor, it will handle fusee springs too, but yes anyting that big is still scary.
I have an old English winder made for bigger fusee springs and really its not alot bigger or sturdier than the Ollie Baker.
Dan

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
Oops! Grant and Uhralt, you are both correct. I have a #10 hanging on the wall which is as you say - double barrel, time only, lever escapement. Not sure what the model number is on this movement.

Reactions: Grant Perry

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
I was under the impression Seth Thomas made these movements, but this one does not have any ST markings. There is the number 88 stamped on the from plate. There is also what looks like a production or serial number: 10149 037. Does that mean anything to anyone?

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
My solution to Ollie Baker not being able to handle those springs. This wooden handle combined with the clock winding key allowed me to remove the "C" clamps I used to capture the mainsprings. Once out of the movement, I had no way of removing the clamps from the mainsprings. So I put them back into the movement, removed the clamps, and then let down the power slowly using this "let down" tool. Removed the springs from the movement and cleaned them. They can be wound back into the movement by putting the springs back onto the winding arbors and placing the mainwheel assembly with the spring completely relaxed back into the movement. Then wind it up. No spring winder is necessary.

IMG_6211.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller