Correct way to attach fusee chain to a barrel.

Martin Pritchard

Aug 19, 2020
Country
I have a single fusee Chapel clock, it has been dismantled and cleaned. I have put the chain back on the drum.
1. The drum was allowed to run down
2. The chain was put back on to the drum and connected to the fusee.
3.The drum ratchet was released and wound 1 and a quarter turns.
4.The clock ran for about 4.and quarterdays.
5.The drum had about one and a half turns of chain on it when it stopped.
6.Further quarter turn was done on the drum, winding it up would not take the complete chain on the drum and was tight. I am too scared to tighten the spring further in case it breaks. Am I doing anything wrong? Or is the spring requires replacing?

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I have a single fusee Chapel clock, it has been dismantled and cleaned. I have put the chain back on the drum.
1. The drum was allowed to run down
2. The chain was put back on to the drum and connected to the fusee.
3.The drum ratchet was released and wound 1 and a quarter turns.
4.The clock ran for about 4.and quarterdays.
5.The drum had about one and a half turns of chain on it when it stopped.
6.Further quarter turn was done on the drum, winding it up would not take the complete chain on the drum and was tight. I am too scared to tighten the spring further in case it breaks. Am I doing anything wrong? Or is the spring requires replacing?
Can you post pictures of what you have? Something is weird. You said that "winding it up would not take the complete chain on the drum". When a fusee clock is fully wound, almost all of the chain would be on the fusee and very little on the drum (barrel). Running down, more and more of the chain is wound on the spring barrel. So, maybe something is wrong with your set-up?
With regard to the pre-tension, usually 1/2 to 1 turn is sufficient.

Uhralt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller