Corking

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Paul Regan, Jan 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is it best to cork a chronometer balance at the neutral point?

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Paul,

From my limited experience I think corking at the crossings is more mechanically sound. Less chance of distorting a rim that way.

Regards,

Graham

3. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Graham,
    That seems like wise advice. Would that be with the balance manually stopped at a neutral point in its normal oscillations? Assuming also that there is power to the train.
    Paul

4. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, over the years I have posted and received over a 1000 Pocket Watches and movements; none of them were Corked; none of them had damaged Balance Pivots or any other problems. There were some Chronometers with heavy Balances. Regards Ray

5. Kinpol

Kinpol Registered User

Aug 31, 2010
    art and clocks conservator
    Poland
    Country Flag:
    The chronometer's balance must be corked... Will you pay xxxx$ for repair of the detent spring or unlocking or impulse jewel?
    regards
    Krzysztof

6. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Omexa, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Well I have never had any problems. Having worked in the Marine Industry for a long time, the knocks that a Chronometer gets from rough weather at Sea would be a lot more than in the Post. Fishing Boats in Tasmania 40 years ago were in some cases using the good old Chronometer. Regards Ray

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ray, I think you may underestimate the roughness of the handling that packages get in the mail. In some cases boxes are thrown 15 feet or more into a bin. With adequate padding, a pocket watch is unlikely to be damaged, but a chronometer has a very heavy balance compared to the diameter of its pivots. Also, a shock could release the escape wheel with the possibility of a broken locking jewel which is often a disaster.

I have received chronometers in the mail that were foolishly shipped with the tub in the gimbals which can also lead to a lot of gross damage to the tub, gimbals and box.

Omexa likes this.
  8. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom, I can understand what you are saying, but I have been in fishing Boats over 60 feet long and being hit by really large waves in the Ocean South of Tasmania and you end up bruised and battered and the good old Chronometer kept going; that is what they are made for. The shock would have been 5 times the shock of being chucked about in transit. One time the side of the Wheelhouse was pushed in by a wave. I did it for 7 years and I am glad I am in the Territory and not back on the Water. Regards Ray

South of Tasmania.jpg

9. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A friend of mine in Darwin has purchased a "Hole in the Water", to throw money into. It is a 45 feet Boat and is way under powered and in the 8 knots (a bit over 9mph) Tide has trouble going anywhere. He has tried in vain to get me interested in helping him. It is called the "Jolly Roger". Regards Ray

10. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I, too, have been at sea. However a marine chronometer will only experience the battering the crew receive if it is not secured, whereas it can be thrown about or dropped by a courier. I don't doubt that with adequate packing the risk can be minimised, deformation is a function of time as Professor Shaw used to say.

Omexa likes this.
  11. kevin h

kevin h Registered User

Apr 9, 2015
    Male
    cambridge md
    Country Flag:
    At one time , and maybe today , UPS timed the men on how fast they can load and unload a truck - so boxes went flying through the air !

12. Kinpol

Kinpol Registered User

Aug 31, 2010
    art and clocks conservator
    Poland
    Country Flag:
    One parcel with uncorked chronometer... surely...:p