Copies of Clock Labels?

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Would like to replace the original label on the back of a gingerbread clock and maybe others I have, with a good clean copy of the original label. Maybe over the top of the existing label so as to preserve what's left of the original. I remember someone here said they knew of a person that did labels or specialized in copies of labels? Any ides on that.
The label I'm looking for is: 8 Day Cunard Line, Striking, New Haven Clock Co. circa 1907

Appreciate it
Larry G

Last edited:

Troy Livingston

NAWCC Member
Aug 28, 2006
Melrose, FL
Country
Region
I have posted this elsewhere and think it worth repeating here again.

Replacing original labels can result in a significant reduction of the historical and financial value of your clocks. An original label provides proof of manufacturer. Details such as wording, font, spacing, and the printer can provide useful information as to date or manufacturing location. All of this is lost or becomes questionable once you put in the replacement.

My opinion, even a few tattered, barely legible remnants of an original label are far superior to any of the modern replacement labels. As far as I am concerned replacement labels are worse than useless.

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
I have posted this elsewhere and think it worth repeating here again.

Replacing original labels can result in a significant reduction of the historical and financial value of your clocks. An original label provides proof of manufacturer. Details such as wording, font, spacing, and the printer can provide useful information as to date or manufacturing location. All of this is lost or becomes questionable once you put in the replacement.

My opinion, even a few tattered, barely legible remnants of an original label are far superior to any of the modern replacement labels. As far as I am concerned replacement labels are worse than useless.
So how do your preserve what's left of an original badly deteriorated label that is practically falling apart and flacking off of the back after 110 years? I'm talking about a $20 clock here not a $2000 clock. How am I significantly reducing the historical and financial value of $20 gingerbread clock by placing a good copy of the label over the original label, thus preserving what's left of the original. I'm not gluing it over the original, I'm taping it over.

Reactions: Salsagev

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
May we have a picture of the remnants of whats left? I always photograph old documents to at least have a record of what it was before getting lost/destroyed.

Troy Livingston

NAWCC Member
Aug 28, 2006
Melrose, FL
Country
Region
So how do your preserve what's left of an original badly deteriorated label that is practically falling apart and flacking off of the back after 110 years? I'm talking about a $20 clock here not a $2000 clock. How am I significantly reducing the historical and financial value of $20 gingerbread clock by placing a good copy of the label over the original label, thus preserving what's left of the original. I'm not gluing it over the original, I'm taping it over.
I suppose if you can apply the new label in a way that is reversible and won't damage the original label then there is no harm done. Usually these things seem to be glued over the old label or the old label is removed first. In which case I stand by my statement. I've seen too many wood works clocks damaged with these bogus labels. For the most part these aren't high dollar clocks either especially in the current market. Does this make them any less worth preserving?

What is the benefit? It doesn't improve the time keeping, resale value or even the appearance of the clock since the label is on the back. Usually if you leave it alone and keep the silverfish away the labels are fine. If your label is really loose and falling off then taping a modern label over it isn't going to do much to more than contain the pieces.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
We need to know how bad is it. If it’s completely rubbed off or broken away, documentation needs to be done to the clock to at least inform the next set of hands it goes to.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
looks decent to me. I believe the only difference of these labels are the model name. If you really want, you can find a general new haven label that looks like that and place it next to that. You should try to preserve the label as well.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alocathayco
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff