• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Cool pocket watch - Don't know how to describe it.

collectingfool

May 10, 2015
NYC Area
Country
Picked this up with a bunch of other stuff last weekend. Don't have time to put up all the items but this one I found interesting. Not sure what this type of display is called but it obviously uses two discs, one for hour and one for minutes. Don't really recognize the language on the movement (French but not quite?) and I see a DRP mark and a faint mark of what looks like a mission or church. Maybe maker? I'm sure these are all novice questions and if this is all obvious I apologize for wasting your time. This is the first one like this for me so all I know is I like it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ruben

pw-disk1.jpg pw-disk2.jpg pw-disk3.jpg pw-disk4.jpg

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
DRP may refer to the watchmaker D R Pundole & Sons of La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland, but I can't find on Mikrolisk the trademark in an oval shown on your movement. Thje fact that the oval also contaions what seems to be a erial number suggests that Pundole may have bought the finished movement, already serial numbered, from a movement maker and added their own.

The other mark to which you refer is the Swiss cross (as on their flag) followed by a Swiss patent number 573. This is a patent granted to Henri Jaccard, a well-known watchmaker and inventoir, in 1892 for a "Mechanism for watches without hands". I believe that this must be the same invention as the US Patent shown here.

The fact that the word "patented" rather than the French word "brevete" is inscribed on the cuvette suggests that this watch was destined for the American (or maybe English) market. Thje French words on the cuvette mean "Stemwind, cylinder [escapement] 10 ruby jewels".

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The DRP number is that of a German patent No. 49567, granted to L. Marillier-Denzler in 1889. He was in Neuveville, Canton Bern, Switzerland and the patent relates to the display mechanism of a pocket watch.

Hope this helps.

JTD

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
That's great information, JTD. I've never seen a German registered patent before - what does DRP stand for?

Does the watch contain the Swiss patent for the drive mechanism of the discs and the German patent for the design of the dics themselves? Or are those two actually for the same patent sponsored by two different people in the two countries?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
DRP stands for Deutsches Reichspatent. I have a copy of this patent and it seems to be the same as the US patent granted to Henri Jaccard (who, as you can see, was the 'assignor' of L. Marillier-Denzler (not Deuzler as shown in the US copy). It is essentially the same as the US patent - I suppose Marillier-Denzler wanted to be protected in US and got Henri Jaccard to do the work for him.

The Swiss patent 573 was also granted to Henri Jaccard in 1889 and was for exactly the same thing!

It seems that, between them, the two patentees had done all they could to protect the invention.

I have a copy of the German patent, which is only two pages, one of which is the drawings relating to the mechanism being patented. If you can PM me a mailing address I will happily send you a copy by post.

JTD

collectingfool

May 10, 2015
NYC Area
Country
Thank you for the information! Really appreciate the help. I hadn't run across like this I could purchase before. Is this a hard to find one? Is it average value or better than average for non-gold pocket watches?

Oh and maybe I didn't explain myself correctly but right above the Swiss Cross and the 573 there is a light engraving of what looks like a church or monastery next to a tree or cliff face. You can see a dome with a cross on top. Thought that might be a makers mark or something. It's aligned over the 418334 just above and to the left of it. Might be nothing but it seemed so large as marks go I thought it might be important.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It likely is the maker's mark. It's just that it is not very clear and no one has yet managed to identify it. 418334 is likely the serial number of the movement.

JTD

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region
"The Temple" was the trademark of Louis Marillier-Denzler situated in Quai du bas 92 in Biel.
regards enrico

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Well done Enrico! I have just found it also, a few minutes ago, but you got there first. Glad the question has been solved.

JTD

collectingfool

May 10, 2015
NYC Area
Country
Yes, thank you Enrico, JTD and Marty for all the help and useful information. This novice does appreciate the help of more well heeled collectors. Just really only have one question left... what do I call this thing? Does this style face go by a certain name?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KiwiJosie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-