Convex Dial for Ingraham Tambour Clock

GA Hal

Sep 1, 2022
Country
I'm still very new at this and don't know all the proper terms, but I was looking through a couple of suppliers' catalogs for a dial for an E. Ingraham Tambour Clock. It's pretty easy to find convex glass, but I can't seem to find a convex dial. Does anyone make reproduction ones? Are they in the catalog and called something different than convex? Maybe repro's are not available? I'm afraid a flat one will look odd behind convex glass. I could just use the old one, but it's not very pretty.

Thanks,

Hal

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Most dials are flat behind convex glass, and they look just fine. What does the one you have look like?
37E342F5-8F13-4EFB-8632-4CF445841D69.jpeg

Reactions: PatH

GA Hal

Sep 1, 2022
Country
It's convex or maybe a very shallow cone. Otherwise, it is very much like the one in your photo. Silver with black numerals. I'll try to get a photo tonight and post it. Thanks for your quick reply.

Hal

GA Hal

Sep 1, 2022
Country
Here's a few photos I took last night.

I see some flat ones in Timesavers and Merritt's catalog. I don't see any the exact size, but maybe I can make one work. I have been holding back on working on this one because the glass was on backorder. I finally got tired of waiting and ordered from another supplier. Hopefully they will have it. I'll have to wait and see what gets shipped. I wish this dial were in better shape. I like a little patina on things, but this one is past that point for me.

Thanks,

Hal
dial2.jpg

dial2.jpg
dial3.jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Since the numbers are screened ink, the dial can be redone, but will no longer be original. Personally, I don’t like a messy dial and have resilvered several, then used a filmless water slide decal. Check this thread to see if it is something you would want to try.
https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/filmless-water-slide-decal-paper-for-silvered-dials.186927/
Replacing a dial can be harder than it sounds, which is why I prefer to use the original.

GA Hal

Sep 1, 2022
Country
Thanks tracerjack. That sure looks good. I might look into it.

What is necessary to scan the convex dial, as it will not lay flat on the glass of a copier.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Although convex, it looks to be shallow so that I think a scan would be accurate. You might only need a slightly adjustment to match the original.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Your best bet would be to re-silver that dial yourself, or have it re-finished by an expert. Nothing else is going to work out well on that one. Willie X

Reactions: JTD

GA Hal

Sep 1, 2022
Country
Thanks guys.

Will the JAX Silver Plating Solution be sufficient for the job?

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
The video of the Jax silver solution looks like it would work for a dial. The powder is not difficult to do, but if you are only going to do one dial, the solution seems to be less expensive. You would have to find out how much surface area an once covers to make sure it is cost effective.

GA Hal

Sep 1, 2022
Country
I think I'll pursue trying to refinish the dial. I'll post photos when I get done. I really appreciate everyone's help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00035Skip
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller