Converting a parlor clock into a wall clock (yes or no?)

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Adam Gauthier, Oct 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Adam Gauthier

Adam Gauthier Registered User

Sep 28, 2017
    Greetings,

I just purchased this beautiful Ansonia "Cordova" Walnut 7 Day Parlor Clock for $100. I sold my Linden Regulator School House Clock for it (doubled my investment) and now I have an empty space where a clock once was. This Cordova clock is wonderful and I would very much like to hang it where the Regular was. My questions are:
    1. Where can you get a clock anchor or how easy is it to make one?
    2. Will mounting an anchor to securely fasten it to the clock involve cutting the wood? I know tapping holes in the clock is required...
    3. Will mounting an anchor to the back of the clock impact the value of the clock
    4. Is mounting an anchor not the way to go, should I just buy a wooden base and mount that to the call and put the clock on it? How secure would it be and is this what is best for this style of the clock?
    Thank you in advance for your advice,
    Adam

il_570xN.1322675976_do8c.jpg il_570xN.1369948635_2v8t.jpg il_570xN.1322677434_hixs.jpg il_570xN.1322677984_n3yp.jpg il_570xN.1322679166_4ee2.jpg il_570xN.1369952617_p0nb.jpg il_570xN.1369953173_4bbh.jpg il_570xN.1322682048_o1tm.jpg il_570xN.1322683584_pspe.jpg il_570xN.1369955931_p85g.jpg

2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not sure but I think it was a fairly common practice to add a hanger on the back of the clock to mount to a wall. Here's a Seth Thomas that I acquired with this mounting bracket already on it.

Seth Thomas Seattle16 45.jpg Seth Thomas Seattle16 44.jpg

3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock! Rather than adding a hanger, you can also find shelves that you can mount on the wall for these clocks. I'm pretty sure there is a thread(s) showing pictures.

4. Adam Gauthier

Sep 28, 2017
    Thank you for the suggestions. My only concern about a shelf is the security of the clock. In regards to a hanger, where to get one. Adam

5. dad1891

dad1891 Registered User

Feb 28, 2014
    Male
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Home depot, Lowes, Ace.

I would consider placing it on a small shelf UNLESS you live in an earthquake zone. The base may not look right when hanging from a wall.

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Im pretty sure that hanger was added.
    A clock like you have deserves and should have a nice shelf to rest on. If you are worried about it being secure (cats?), by all means use a safety wire at the top center. A length of soft 18 guage wire and a couple of small eye screws will make it impossible to tip over.
    Willie X

7. Adam Gauthier

Sep 28, 2017
    Willie & Dad1891

I think you are right, a shelf is the way to go. I will get some wire and small eye screws. Thanks! Adam

8. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I vote for the shelf. A shelf clock just doesn't look right hanging.

RC

9. Adam Gauthier

Sep 28, 2017
    Thanks RC! Adam

10. Bogey

Bogey Registered User

Mar 25, 2005
    Retired Safety Consultant
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found this at an estate sale recently. The shelf was pretty old so it looked really good with the clock.

DSCI0001 (2).JPG

11. Adam Gauthier

Sep 28, 2017
    WOW! Look at that gem!

12. Adam Gauthier

Sep 28, 2017
    My only concern is driving screws into the back of the clock.

13. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you can use museum wax to help hold it in place if you find a shelf... check ebay... i sometimes see them there

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They did make hanging kitchen style clocks, and you could look for one of them in the future and put that one somewhere else :)

15. Bogey

Bogey Registered User

Mar 25, 2005
    Retired Safety Consultant
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The shelf in my picture was screwed into the wall by two screws just under the shelf itself. The clock simply rested on it. It was pretty solid.

16. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #16 RJSoftware, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Hey AG.

Eventually you will run into a situation where you will want to toy with modification. We all think about it (I think...).

Some have even gone as far as adding pendulum escapement to an old pocket watch movement and hung that. Don't know what his success was but it was interesting enough just thinking about how to make an escapement with a pendulum of that speed of action.

Put it this way, I like the challenge and don't mind failures. On my "todo" list is a wood works weight driven Ogee clock. The movement works fine but the case is a disaster. No door and no glass, Beat up. But when people look at it first thing they say is "oooh that one looks real old".

I had an Ogee clock shelf ( had as I tend to change things around from time to time), It's a long width (about 4 ft. ) and narrow (4 or so inches) deep. I had a series of Ogee clocks of all sorts on that shelf and found that I had to screw them into the wall. The Ogees are particularly prone to falling over as sometimes the door does not get latched and when the door swings open the extra weight of the glass on the door makes it go over. Lucky for me I always caught them before any tragedy. So I put a screw right in the center of the back usually behind where the pendulum swings and one on top. Ogees are really only made to be a shelf clock so a small modification to have a top hook is perfectly acceptable to me. The way I look at it is if some modification helps to ensure the clocks longevity then that is perfectly acceptable.

I love the Ogees. Some real primordial goodness of a flat rectangular box clock. On the one that is beat up I want to experiment by cutting a clear acrylic front plate for it. Since it has no dial, door and beat up case, I want to show off the wood gears. I want it to capture that something unexplained. Like the love of patina and what it imparts. Or the tin soldier. Rusted but working still.

I am even considering taking the case bottom off and extending the strings so that the weights could travel farther. As it is, it's a one day (thirty hour) clock.

If it totally becomes a wall clock then I can make it a free swinger style with what remains of the clock. But I want something ragged and beat looking. Like it's been hanging in some barn and has a few shotgun blast and horse chews. It could even have a broken tablet with pointy shards of glass for accent.

Then hands on the clock will just be put on and tells time by general position. Since no dial, no need for any accuracy.

I once bought a clock off the bay that was really beat and had been Halloween-ed up. It was a Gilbert Steeple clock that someone had spray painted black and belt-sanded the roof and one side. They did such an awesome job of beating it up, I nick named Jezebel. It looked like it could have been a prop for a horror movie. Funny thing is when I got it the challenge became to restore Jezebel back to original shape. I used fiberglass to restore the sanded off roof and sides after I stripped the black acrylic spray paint off. I spent allot of time restoring it back. I even still have more to do but it's much cleaner now. I would take a pic and show you, but I put it away for now. Too long a story.

At one time I was considering how to make a Grandfather clock fish tank. I want real fish tank inside a working Grandfather clock. Complete with neon lights and dial. Another thing that might work better than swimming fish (they poop) would be rising bubbles with the rotating color wheel lights. It would be cool if the bubbles appeared to be surrounding the pendulum but might be a bit much. I want it to be a lighted thing like that fish tank at night time feel.

Well, enjoy the world of clocks and watches.

RJ

17. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RS Welsh clock_9.jpg
    RS Welsh clock_5.jpg
    This EN Welch Whittier parlour clock has a hanger on the back although it was not designed to be hung. A previous owner thought they would hang it. Some gingerbreads such as this hanging gingerbread from the New Haven Clock Co. had lower trim pieces and were hung. My preference is not to hang it but if you have a space on a wall a clock shelf is a better option.

Ron RS clock museum (38).jpg

18. Adam Gauthier

Sep 28, 2017
    Very interestign post Ronnie, please share some photos.

Adam

19. Adam Gauthier

Sep 28, 2017
    Hi Ron,

Thanks for the photos, my father is a machinist and I am going to ask him to make this hanger for me. However, I am not going to hang it. I am going to use it to anchor the clock to the wall to prevent from tipping over. If the shelve gives then I am swered. Here is the shelf I bought for the clock. It looks great!
    Thanks,
    Adam

20171101_184415.jpg

20. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think you would need to add screws to the clock. If it's sitting on a shelf, you can probably put the screw eye(s) in the wall slightly behind the clock and wrap the wire across the front of the clock in an inconspicuous location. A small gauge wire won't be obvious. Others might have different thoughts on this option, but it's a thought.

21. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Over here we still use the term bracket clock for clocks that people would usually only stand on a piece of furniture, but clocks have stood on shelf brackets since the early days of domestic clocks in 17th century and probably earlier.

Adam Gauthier likes this.
  22. Adam Gauthier

Sep 28, 2017
    There it is, metal anchor and a zip tie. She is safe and snug now, makes me feel 100% better about the security of the clock. I used a small screw into the clock, it was painful but after much thought, it was the right thing to do. Thank you everyone for your input!

20171107_200530.jpg

23. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't be concerned. The International Horological Code says that you can screw anything to the back of a clock. Many old clocks look like someone's been shooting at them. That's a good method of securing the clock, and I may adopt it.

M Kinsler

International Horological Code?

24. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a bit too visible for my taste, but I've been down the road of having one knocked off a shelf and being broken, so can understand your concerns. At least you are unlikely to lose the clock. ;)

25. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cuckoo clocks seem to take frequent trips to the floor, but those dancing deer and Teutonic maidens provide a substantial crumple zone to protect the movement.

Step 1: Someone enlists in the US Army.
    Step 2: They're assigned to serve in Germany.
    Step 3: They buy a cuckoo clock in Bavaria for each member of the family.
    Step 4: A feeble nail driven into an equally feeble piece of wallboard fails.
    Step 5: Customer arrives at shop cradling three liters of pureed cuckoo clock in a Harry and David's box.

M Kinsler
    and they never take the box home with them

Dave T likes this.
  26. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The concept looks OK but the backs of most clocks like this are 3/8" thick at best and the wood is old and dried out. If I were going to depend of this I think I would consider two screws. I don't have cats or children and we don't typically have earth quakes so most of my shelf clocks just sit there on the shelf. It is however very important to secure weight powered clocks to the wall as they become quite top heavy when the weights are at the top. For small clocks, especially heavy ones, I'm more concerned about how secure the shelf is to the wall.

I make most of my clock shelves and frequently use the wooden brackets available at the home supply store with a simple plank on top. I offer two tips; 1) replace the screws that hold the hidden metal fastener strips in the back with longer screws, 2) Mount the brackets to the wall first without the shelf. Lay the shelf in place and make sure it is level. Put glue on the bracket tops and place the plank in place with some weight on it. When the glue is dry, remove the shelf and the screw holes will line up perfectly with the holes in the brackets. Then apply finish of your choice.

RC

27. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  28. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I've used it and it works well

Rob

29. Coalbuster

Coalbuster Registered User

Aug 22, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This parlor clock came with a wall hanger attached but I don't like the look of shelf clocks hanging on walls. The flat bottoms look unnatural to me. Since I've run out of shelves to put clocks on, however, I put it on a floating shelf that I bought at Lowes and attached a screw into a wall stud to take the weight. I wouldn't trust a valuable clock on such a shallow floating shelf. To me, the small floating shelf works as an alternative way to display shelf clocks.

parlor_clock 3.jpg

Dave T likes this.
  30. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RS shelf Hamilton cottage clock_1.jpg

I try to look for unusual or in this case an ornate shelf to display my clocks.on a wall.

Ron

31. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    Clock shelves were a lot more common in the 19thC than most people would imagine. When the clock was removed or sold, the shelf, even if it matched the clock, usually stayed behind, and was usually ripped out and tossed later.
    The backboard of most kitchen or parlor clocks is not substantial enough to support them, especially if they have weights. At the very least, bolts, rather than screws, should be used, preferably with a large washer. A single screw partway through the backboard, even with a hanger, is definitely not sufficient.
    The Nov/Dec 2017 NAWCC Bulletin has a good article on reproducing an Eastlake style clock shelf; it's geared to those with limited experience and tooling.