Converted verge signed John Bolton #702

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by John Matthews, Jun 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I attach photographs of a converted verge signed by John Bolton, who at the time was based in Chester-le-Street, County Durham. He had previously worked in Felixkirk, Yorkshire and subsequently New Elvet, Durham. Loomes records that he worked in Chester-le-Street from 1790 to 1815, Graham has indicated that the original verge was probably from this period. John Bolton is also recorded as a clockmaker, for which activity, I think he may be better known. I include a photograph of a contemporary label from a long-case clock as well as his will dated 1817 – he died in 1821.

The pair cases have assay marks for Birmingham 1853 and, although not as clear, the pendant carries the same date letter. I believe the cases were made by Joseph Harris, The Butts, Coventry (JH incuse registered 23/02/1842). The maker's mark on the pendant is well worn, but I believe it is TB in an oval for the registered pendant maker Thomas Bickley, Spon Street, Coventry registered 31/10/1850.

As can be seen, the current escapement is a double roller and it would be reasonable to assume that the work was done ~1853 when the watch was re-cased. However, I believe that there is evidence, from which it might be inferred, that significant work was performed on at least two occasions. I refer to the additional holes in the pillar plate and the modification to some of the pillars. The brass ring supporting the dial and been crudely re-worked, In the last instance to accommodate the current dial.

I am keen to better understand the work that was undertaken to convert the original verge to its current (smoothly working) state, and any help would be much appreciated.

John

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a longcase by a John Bolton, though I think a different guy as this was made around 1720.

3. John Matthews

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nick - I re-searched AH to make sure I had correctly identified the Bolton who signed the watch was indeed a clock-maker. There are 4 references to John Bolton - they all refer to , Chapel-le-Street, clocks and a dateline of end of the C18th beginning of C19th. So yes, must be a different maker. I did try and identify your maker, but I couldn't find a reference to a John Bolton from early in the C18th - the only Bolton of that time in Loomes is T (for Thomas) Bolton (or Boulton) - place unknown ~1700~1720.

John

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just looked at the dial again, I think it is a Tho

Thank you for that. Which Loomes book is that?

Edit> senior moment, I had thought it Tho originally, sorry to invade your thread!

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?138977-Thomas-Bolton-8-day-longcase-1740&highlight=bolton

5. John Matthews

Sep 22, 2015
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nick - no problem - reference -> Brian Loomes "Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World" Complete 21st century edition. NAG Press.

John