Convention and transportation

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Howdydave, Mar 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Howdydave

Howdydave Registered User

Oct 23, 2017
    Male
    Former Software Appl. Eng. / Technical Writer
    Rochester, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just attended a workshop in Columbia last week and, since I do not drive, I discovered how dismal the transportation options are for those without a car.

Will there be some sort of shuttle service between York and Columbia for those of us who do not drive?

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great question, David. I didn't see anything on the National Convention webpage, but I did see contact information there where you can either email or call the co-chairs with questions.

4. Howdydave

Howdydave Registered User

Oct 23, 2017
    Male
    Former Software Appl. Eng. / Technical Writer
    Rochester, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Howdydave, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    I discovered that you can not use Uber if you have a flip-phone.
    An IPhone is necessary in order to pay in advance -- if you can't do that, they won't come.

I had to give a person in the York bus station who had an iPhone my credit card number and let her contact Uber for me.

I then canceled my card and discovered that she had used it herself for a $49 Uber ride.

BTW: They don't even have a taxi stand, pay phone or telephone directory at the York terminal!

5. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unfortunately, these days you can't live without an IPhone, no more phone booths, directories. Most people can't get where they are going without GPS. I wonder if they can read and understand a map these days, probably why they get lost in the woods, don't know north from south by looking at the sky.

6. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll modify that a bit and say SmartPhone, not iPhone. Frankly, I won't (& can't) pay >twice as much for an iPhone as I spent for an Android phone that does everything I need it to do. GPS navigation is OK for point-to-point, but if It's a pleasure trip, I MUCH prefer a paper map to have an overall view of the area... let's go look at that on the way... it's only 25 miles out of the way.

7. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill, I agree, a map is worth it to see what is "around" not just point A to point B. I have been doing warranty inspection work for auto warranty companies for 19 years and started out in Brooklyn, Queens, NYC and the Bronx just using a map. Thank God, the Bronx and NYC are set out in grids. Brooklyn was a challenge because the roads were set up willy nilly in the 16-1800's. HowdyDave, I would get a place as close to York as I possibly could, maybe there will be people who would be willing to take a passenger back and forth.