Continual striking

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by brian davies, Jan 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brian davies

brian davies Registered User

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Sorry but i'm completely ignorant about clocks and WIN_20180112_20_19_47_Pro.jpg hope someone can help me out after being knocked off the wall this movement just won't stop striking

2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    It is pretty hard to tell from the one photo what all might be wrong. One thing that stands out though is the C clip toward the bottom of your photo. It appears bent a bit too much and may not be holding that wheel in place. That is probably not related to the continual striking, but if that happened when the clock fell then there is probably some other serious bending, warped, or misplaced springs or levers that need to be re-aligned. This will likely require the assistance of a clock repair person. If you can provide more pictures showing the parts between the plates someone might see something else that would help explain it.

3. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    The stop pin may have broken off.

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.

i was thinking this was a count wheel, and that the lever drops into it to stop the striking... but every way i look at it i can only make it go to 11, and not 12... :???:

WIN_20180112_20_19_47_Pro.jpg

5. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Bruce there is no raised part at one o'clock. Normal for a countwheel.

6. bruce linde

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    so the lower arrow IS pointing to a count wheel? or that's not a count wheel (in which case... what is it?)

and, don't those look like slots the thing the top arrow is pointing to might drop into?

maybe we could get more (and better/bigger) photos....

7. THTanner

THTanner Registered User

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Yes - One oclock is the long slot where the lower arrow is pointing and partially covering so it just lifts once, strikes, and drops back into the long slot

8. bruce linde

NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    right... so isn't the thing the top arrow is pointing to the thing that's supposed to drop into the slots and stop the striking?

9. THTanner

THTanner Registered User

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    yes - and as it drops it stops the warning or the stop wheel by catching a pin which we cannot see in the photo. But if that pin is broken off then the lever gets lifted again and it keeps striking

10. brian davies

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    TH like you said the c clip is bent but seems to be holding the wheel in place , the pin on the warning wheel is still in place and not bent but when it drops into the slot on the counting wheel nothing moves to interact with the warning wheel pin , could it be the big lever should be one piece and is broken where the top arrow covers up

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Yes, and it has to stop in the front part of the slot because the end part is used for the 1/2 hour strike. So each slot is used twice.

12. THTanner

THTanner Registered User

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Or in the case of the 12 -> 1 four times, once to end the 12, once for 12:30, once for 1:00 and again for 1:30

13. brian davies

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    could somone please explain to me just what interacts with the pin on the warning wheel to stop the striking because at the moment when the lever drops into the slot on the counter wheel nothing happens

14. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    #14 bangster, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Just to make it clear: The count lever isn't what stops the train. When it drops into a deep slot, a stop lever on the same arbor as the count lever intercepts a stop pin, generally on the warning wheel. That halts the train.

If the stop lever doesn't intercept the stop pin, for whatever reason, the train she don't stop.

On this particular clock, it may not be a separate stop lever, but a projection off the count lever (the "thing that falls into the notch on the wheel with notches") to intercept the pin inside the plate.

Either the stop pin is bent or missing, or the stop lever/projection is bent so it misses the pin.

OR, the maintenance lever has gotten bent, throwing the synchronization out of kilter (if it has a maintenance lever).

15. THTanner

THTanner Registered User

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    If you expand this picture, and look just above the <-- of the top arrow you will see a bent piece of the lever that extends inside a slot through the plate. Just inside that same slot you can see a wheel. When the lever drops into the slot on the count wheel, the part between the plates moves closer to the perimeter of the wheel between the plates where it is suppose to encounter a pin and stop the striking. This is similar, but not exactly the same, as one I had in the shop about a year ago. It was made in Korea?? or Japan in a wall clock. I am not sure yours is designed exactly like that, but it looks similarly designed.

16. Fitzclan

Fitzclan Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Male
    Long Island, New York
    Perhaps these photos will help. This mvt. looks similar to yours. The arbor that the lever that drops into the count wheel also contains a stop lever that is adjustable via a set screw. This stop lever engages with a stop pin when the count lever falls into a deep slot.
    If you look at the mvt. From above, you will notice the fly on the left. It's pinion engages with the next wheel (warning wheel) directly adjacent, and this wheels pinion engages with the stop wheel which has a stop pin. This is the pin that the stop lever must engage with, that is if your movement is like the one in the photos. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. Fitzclan

Fitzclan Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Male
    Long Island, New York
  18. brian davies

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Thanks fitz think your spot on sir my wheel as a small hole where the stop pin should be

19. RogMar

RogMar New Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    So, any luck with this unstopable hour striking, Brian ?

I am about to buy a clock with this same issue.
    It just strikes hour chimes until the bell spring is completely unwound.
    Any idea of how to fix this ?

20. brian davies

Jan 12, 2018
    Male
    Your asking the wrong guy rog i'm completely ignorant when it comes to clocks which is why i asked for help from the experts on this forum , open your own thread and post pictures of the clocks workings when you get it i'm sure like my problem they will track down the fault for you

21. RogMar

RogMar New Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    It could be some screw was loosened off or some chime lock ratchet metal was chipped off.
    The reason can varries to any cause.
    As old clock screws do loosen off after many years of gong bangings.

22. Fitzclan

Fitzclan Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Male
    Long Island, New York
    RogMar
    There can be any number of reasons for a run-on strike situation, but generally I think most often the strike train is not set up properly. There are tutorials on this site called "Count Wheel Basics" and another called "Rack Strike Elements". Depending upon which type of strike mechanism your particular clock features, you may want to have a look at these.
    If you post some pics, or better yet a video of what is happening, you will get the information you are seeking here, but definitely start a new thread.

23. RogMar

RogMar New Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    Ah yes, thank you for your advice, Fitz