Connect pendulum on a Christian Kohler grandfather clock

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
I can't figure out how to connect the pendulum. Here are pictures of the pendulum hook and the guide. Can anyone tell me how these two connect? Thanks.

Pendulum guide.jpg Pendulum hook.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
can you pls post photos of the back of the movement? that show suspension spring and full crutch?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You are missing the leader and the drive pin. Possibly an older UW03 Urgos movement, just a guess without more info. Willie X

Last edited:

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
You are missing the leader and the drive pin. Possibly an Urgos movement, just a guess without more info. Willie X
Well, it turns out I was trying to attach the pendulum to the crutch. Silly me. It is currently attached to the suspension spring and seems ok. The crutch has a left side and a right side. I don’t know how to choose. Pictures of the back are attached.

16FB3FB0-F9BA-4491-A31E-8838520A7588.jpeg AF7F1A9B-1377-4F72-9F86-65C3B9DFB27A.jpeg

Last edited:

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
I'm still not seeing a leader, just a crutch.
Willie X
Is there another name for a leader? Right now I have the pendulum rod attached to the suspension spring and the clock runs. But still, if something is missing I want to make it right. The suspension spring is only about an inch long and not so clear in the photo.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Does the pendulum have a slot for that pin at the bottom of the crutch? If so put it together so we can see all the parts.

Pretty sure you don't have the leader.

Willie X

Last edited:

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Does the pendulum have a slot for that pin at the bottom of the crutch? If so put it together so we can see all the parts.
Willie X
No slot for the pin. The pendulum passes on the side of the pin at the moment and the crutch/pen pushes the pendulum on its side. Don’t know yet if it will continue to run indefinitely but it has been running for a couple hours.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I will post a photo of the missing leader tomorrow. I think your solution will be clear once you have, or at least see, all the parts! Willie X

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region

I will post a photo of the missing leader tomorrow. I think your solution will be clear once you have, or at least see, all the parts! Willie X
I understand the problem now. I’m missing the leader. Now I need to figure out which replacement leader will work with this movement.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Your leader is no longer available as a replacement part. You may be able to find one though. It will look something like the one on the right; the key measurement is from the hook to the vertical slot, where the drive pin goes. And, you will need an eye at the bottom to fit the existing hook.
Good luck, Willie X

IMG_20210510_154151.jpg

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Your leader is no longer available as a replacement part. You may be able to find one though. It will look something like the one on the right; the key measurement is from the hook to the vertical slot, where the drive pin goes. And, you will need an eye at the bottom to fit the existing hook.
Good luck, Willie X

View attachment 653762
Thanks. The one on the right certainly looks about right. I just now sent pictures to Clockworks to see if they have one that will work. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
They may have the center one and you could modify it to work. That center one also takes a special suspension spring. Might be best/easier to just make one. Willie X

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I see the one on the right is for sale on ebay. Just type in "clock leader" and it is on the first page "Urgos leader". Whether it is the right length, that I don't know.

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
i have been informed that this is a Jauch movement. I found perhaps the one leader that is available. Pricey, but I'm going to purchase it. Will be original equipment. Purchasing from Clockodile Clock Repair.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
The logo on the back of your movements in your photos (post #4) looks like the Urgos chime bar inside a chapter ring. Your photo is not clear enough, but a close up of the logo would verify which movement you have. WillieX also thought it was an older Urgos, and I don’t remember that last time he was wrong.

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Well, the movement could be Urgos, but the crutch and my pendulum require the Jauch leader as far as I can tell by the measurements and photo. I'll know for sure in a few days. It has already shipped.

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
The logo on the back of your movements in your photos (post #4) looks like the Urgos chime bar inside a chapter ring. Your photo is not clear enough, but a close up of the logo would verify which movement you have. WillieX also thought it was an older Urgos, and I don’t remember that last time he was wrong.
The logo on the back of the movement is a CK inside of a clock dial. I was told that this was Christian Kohler, a grandfather clock case builder that used movements made by other companies.

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Then let us know how it works out. If the leader fits, it won’t matter what name it has, Jauch or Urgos.

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Here is a closer view of the logo on the back of the movement. It is a K half circled by a C all inside a clock face.

7B9EDB0B-41A4-48A3-A621-5425C75B53D2.jpeg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yes, that's appears to be the correct part.
Your pendulum is not correctly seated on the hook though and could fall off.

No replacement parts are available for your clock, except from junk boxes, scrap movements, etc.

Willie X

CopterGene

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Yes, that's appears to be the correct part.
Your pendulum is not correctly seated on the hook though and could fall off.

No replacement parts are available for your clock, except from junk boxes, scrap movements, etc.

Willie X
Yes, that is a concern. It slides down about 1/16th of an inch. I believe I need to open up the tab on the pendulum a little bit but am afraid of breaking it and really be in trouble.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yes, use the small blade on a pocket knife. Pry it open maybe 1/2mm. The chance of breakage is small. Willie X

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Fits nicely on both the crutch and the pendulum (once you get it adjusted). Glad you got it right on the first try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller