Congrats - The Valjoux 72 with a brief history of Valjoux

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Marty Rougeaux, Feb 14, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steven,
    Glad to see you here on the new WW forum. What a great article. Tell me, is it pronounced Val-goo, Val-zhu or Val-zoo. It seems this house made chron mov'ts for just about everybody over the years?
    Regards, Marty

2. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

Steve, that's a beautiful piece of work. Thanks for sharing it.

Regards,
    Mike

3. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

Marty, there's a reasonably good word pronunciation guide in the back of Shugart's 'Complete Guide'. He says it's val-goo.

Regards,
    Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Kearney (edited 02-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mike Kearney (edited 02-17-2001).]

4. Jerry Laux

Jerry Laux Guest

Cooksey got it wrong this time. Valjoux is a shortening of la Valee de Joux, which translates into English as jewel valley. I t is the home of AP and JLC among others. Steve is close with valjoe, but it's really val zhoo. Now, if you really want a pronunciation riddle try Jaeger LeCoultre, which combines one German name with one French name, but resides in French Switzerland along with more than ninety percent of all Swiss watch making.

5. Jerry, One Frenchman to another, I thank you for the clarification on Valzhoo. Cooksey gets a lot of things wrong. I would never quote them. With regard to JLC, I have a board member who speaks and teaches French. When asked, she said Yeager - Lay Cout Ray. I'm going with that. Thanks, Marty