confirm this American waltham please and 14k case

jcmjr

Apr 13, 2008
found this watch in my stuff i got several months ago. I have found out I believe that it is a seaside 1890 size 6 made in approx. 1894 to 1895 that by my IHC book "complete guide to watches. but the NAWCC database shows 1896-98. serial number is 6999050. the case puzzles me to .It is a Fahys monarch marked 14k.Just curious I had a jeweler check it and the tested the to outer plates only and they tested positive(acid test) gold every time they tried.But I remember that the monarch line was USUALLY gold filled or RG.Is that true and were they actually marked such or no?
case SN or number is 4934577.Also anyone recognize the model by the face style with the red numbers(seconds) as in what exact type it is or such
any help with this watch appreciated.Also if you look close at the fahys stamp it appears to have been remarked with a different model name.maybe what I don't know.
watch runs fine but needs a new crystal bezal
thanks for any help
PICT0106.gif
PICT0107.gif
PICT0108.gif
PICT0109-2.gif

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
jcmjr:

As Tom noted, there is no doubt that the Fahys Monarch case is a [colour=red]Gold-Filled Case[/colour] and that the gold layer is 14K. The real question is why Fahys chose to overstamp their marking (and so crudely, at that). I can understand re-marking the case with the firm's latest trade marks, but one expects that the company like Fahys would have filled and polished out the original stamping.

Don't worry about the differences in the dates between the two references. They're only estimates, accurate within a couple of years at best.

jcmjr

Apr 13, 2008
Is it possible this was not originally suppose to be a monarch case and another model? It looks like the undermarking begins with a c or o
thanks

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
jcmjr said:
Is it possible this was not originally suppose to be a monarch case and another model? ...
Could be, but the question still remains as to why it was so crudely overstamped.

jcmjr

Apr 13, 2008
But as kent says why the overstamp and when did fahys use regular print ,the back print is plain and the over stamp is the script fancy.
what models did they make in a 6 size maybe that would identify the overstamping
thanks

Sheila Gilbert

Apr 30, 2004
jcmjr,
Fahys did use a plain script for 2 of their cases that I know of. One is Fahys Coin, and the other is Fahys 14k Extra, so it may have started out as one of those before it was changed.

jcmjr

Apr 13, 2008
ok thanks Sheila, My guess would be that 14k extra means gold plate extra? or solid just extra designs?
thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawasemi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry